GENEVA ACADEMY 2019/2020 ADMISSIONS

liliy
Hi, I am a long-time lurker too. I’ve been thinking about some maths and hope to shed a light on us all:

- There is a facebook group for admitted students. However, I do not even know if everyone on the group have actually been admitted (if anyone could answer, that would be lovely).

- According to Geneva Academy’s annual reports, the LLM comprises about 35 students. Considering that only 20 are on facebook, there are roughly 15 places remaining.

- And 15 is also the average number of partial + total scholarships available (again, according to GA reports)… and I have seen only ONE person claiming acceptance via scholarship, whilst the majority of us are commiserating.

- Besides, remember that GA changed the timetable on their website. Quote: “WITH SCHOLARSHIP - Admitted students and those put on a waiting list will be informed in April 2019”

What do you think?
Hi, I am a long-time lurker too. I’ve been thinking about some maths and hope to shed a light on us all:

- There is a facebook group for admitted students. However, I do not even know if everyone on the group have actually been admitted (if anyone could answer, that would be lovely).

- According to Geneva Academy’s annual reports, the LLM comprises about 35 students. Considering that only 20 are on facebook, there are roughly 15 places remaining.

- And 15 is also the average number of partial + total scholarships available (again, according to GA reports)… and I have seen only ONE person claiming acceptance via scholarship, whilst the majority of us are commiserating.

- Besides, remember that GA changed the timetable on their website. Quote: “WITH SCHOLARSHIP - Admitted students and those put on a waiting list will be informed in April 2019”

What do you think?

What do you think?

That actually makes a lot of sense! It kind of adds up, if you think about it.

I hope you're right. Cheers!
[quote]Hi, I am a long-time lurker too. I’ve been thinking about some maths and hope to shed a light on us all:

What do you think?[/quote]

Helena87

What do you think?
[quote]Hi, I am a long-time lurker too. I’ve been thinking about some maths and hope to shed a light on us all:

vraffaeli

What do you think?

I can't be 100% sure but I assume everyone on the group has confirmed their place. For those wondering there's 19 of us on it.
[quote][quote]Hi, I am a long-time lurker too. I’ve been thinking about some maths and hope to shed a light on us all:

I hope you're right. Cheers![/quote]

I can't be 100% sure but I assume everyone on the group has confirmed their place. For those wondering there's 19 of us on it.
I'm starting to think that the guy who claimed to have received a full scholarship admission is bluffing. But I could be wrong. I guess it's just that it doesn't make sense to admit one scholarship candidate and then leave all the other applicants hanging for a month. What is more, it wouldn't be wise for the Academy to send one scholarship admission a month before the supposed release of the results according to the revised timetable.

But this is just the impatient me. I'm really hoping they'll start sending results soon. This whole waiting game is really tiring and is making me insane.

[Edited by coffeebean on Apr 09, 2019]

I'm starting to think that the guy who claimed to have received a full scholarship admission is bluffing. But I could be wrong. I guess it's just that it doesn't make sense to admit one scholarship candidate and then leave all the other applicants hanging for a month. What is more, it wouldn't be wise for the Academy to send one scholarship admission a month before the supposed release of the results according to the revised timetable.

But this is just the impatient me. I'm really hoping they'll start sending results soon. This whole waiting game is really tiring and is making me insane.
charlielim

This may be a bit too harsh an assessment. Maybe some presumption of good faith is in order?

In any case, I think GA will release the results sooner or later.
[quote]I'm starting to think that the guy who claimed to have received a full scholarship admission is bluffing. But I could be wrong. I guess it's just that it doesn't make sense to admit one scholarship candidate and then leave all the other applicants hanging for a month. What is more, it wouldn't be wise for the Academy to send one scholarship admission a month before the supposed release of the results according to the revised timetable.

But this is just the impatient me. I'm really hoping they'll start sending results soon. This whole waiting game is really tiring and is making me insane.[/quote]

This may be a bit too harsh an assessment. Maybe some presumption of good faith is in order?

In any case, I think GA will release the results sooner or later.
michq
'17-18 full scholarship holder here; i've been lurking for some time now, but thought that the timeline i've had might alleviate some of your suffering (been there, hold out, people).

back in the day i've received an email saying that i was 'pre-selected', meaning that the academy was willing to take me and that they've sent my application to the sponsoring institution. that was in the beginning of march.

from march to the end of april i've been waiting for the final approval from the sponsor, so that was quite tiring. plus i spoke to some people on this board who were in the same limbo, and some of them were actually rejected by the sponsor.

now, i have no insight as to whether the academy has changed something about this procedure, but one possible explanation to the current radio silence from them about scholarship applicants is that they first check in with the sponsors and only then contact the applicants. if so, not having the results in mid-april should not be that bad.

and dont look at those already admitted non-scholarship applicants - i understand that the procedure for them is very different - people are admitted on a rolling basis - so no surprise that there are ~19 of them, which is probably all of the non-scholarship students, not counting a couple of those not using facebook or whatnot.

either way, stay strong people!
'17-18 full scholarship holder here; i've been lurking for some time now, but thought that the timeline i've had might alleviate some of your suffering (been there, hold out, people).

back in the day i've received an email saying that i was 'pre-selected', meaning that the academy was willing to take me and that they've sent my application to the sponsoring institution. that was in the beginning of march.

from march to the end of april i've been waiting for the final approval from the sponsor, so that was quite tiring. plus i spoke to some people on this board who were in the same limbo, and some of them were actually rejected by the sponsor.

now, i have no insight as to whether the academy has changed something about this procedure, but one possible explanation to the current radio silence from them about scholarship applicants is that they first check in with the sponsors and only then contact the applicants. if so, not having the results in mid-april should not be that bad.

and dont look at those already admitted non-scholarship applicants - i understand that the procedure for them is very different - people are admitted on a rolling basis - so no surprise that there are ~19 of them, which is probably all of the non-scholarship students, not counting a couple of those not using facebook or whatnot.

liliy

Good to hear from you! Maybe they are deliberating with the donors before announcing scholarship nominees / winners. However, I hope they do not postpone admissions to early / mid-May. The waiting is quite hard...
[quote]back in the day i've received an email saying that i was 'pre-selected', meaning that the academy was willing to take me and that they've sent my application to the sponsoring institution. that was in the beginning of march.

now, i have no insight as to whether the academy has changed something about this procedure, but one possible explanation to the current radio silence from them about scholarship applicants is that they first check in with the sponsors and only then contact the applicants. if so, not having the results in mid-april should not be that bad. [/quote]

Good to hear from you! Maybe they are deliberating with the donors before announcing scholarship nominees / winners. However, I hope they do not postpone admissions to early / mid-May. The waiting is quite hard...
liliy
@michq if you could tell us... is the full scholarship monthly stipendium enough to make a living in Geneva? (paying rent, groceries...)
@michq if you could tell us... is the full scholarship monthly stipendium enough to make a living in Geneva? (paying rent, groceries...)
Hi, everyone. Can anyone let me know if the scholarships (full and partial) are directly awarded by the Geneva Academy or through the funds sourced from the Geneva-based foundations (HWF, for example)?

PS: I'm not a candidate for the Geneva Academy. Posting here because there’s radio silence on the MIDS forum. This year onwards the MIDS has stopped granting scholarships on their own. Instead, they nominate a few candidates and send their applications to foundations. The offer letter said they would get back with the foundations' decisions "by April 2019" but no updates from them yet.

I was wondering if it's the same with the Geneva Academy this time (which explains the reason why almost no one has heard from them about the scholarships).
Hi, everyone. Can anyone let me know if the scholarships (full and partial) are directly awarded by the Geneva Academy or through the funds sourced from the Geneva-based foundations (HWF, for example)?

PS: I'm not a candidate for the Geneva Academy. Posting here because there’s radio silence on the MIDS forum. This year onwards the MIDS has stopped granting scholarships on their own. Instead, they nominate a few candidates and send their applications to foundations. The offer letter said they would get back with the foundations' decisions "by April 2019" but no updates from them yet.

I was wondering if it's the same with the Geneva Academy this time (which explains the reason why almost no one has heard from them about the scholarships).
Oliver12

Hi, thank you for sharing this! Are you aware of when we might expect to receive a rejection? Are we to wait until end of May for this (as the GA have indicated) or do they send it sooner? Just wondering if you know of anyone who has received a rejection in the past?
[quote]'17-18 full scholarship holder here; i've been lurking for some time now, but thought that the timeline i've had might alleviate some of your suffering (been there, hold out, people).

either way, stay strong people![/quote]

Hi, thank you for sharing this! Are you aware of when we might expect to receive a rejection? Are we to wait until end of May for this (as the GA have indicated) or do they send it sooner? Just wondering if you know of anyone who has received a rejection in the past?
charlielim

I think the scholarships are granted by foundations as per the Annual Reports and based on what Michlj said.

We're in the same boat as you regarding the waiting time. The wait has been so long and tiring that some of us have abandoned dreams of becoming IHL lawyers and instead have gone on to careers in multinational corporations. Kidding
[quote]Hi, everyone. Can anyone let me know if the scholarships (full and partial) are directly awarded by the Geneva Academy or through the funds sourced from the Geneva-based foundations (HWF, for example)?

I was wondering if it's the same with the Geneva Academy this time (which explains the reason why almost no one has heard from them about the scholarships).[/quote]

I think the scholarships are granted by foundations as per the Annual Reports and based on what Michlj said.

We're in the same boat as you regarding the waiting time. The wait has been so long and tiring that some of us have abandoned dreams of becoming IHL lawyers and instead have gone on to careers in multinational corporations. Kidding
michq

yes, it's absolutely sufficient for all the needs, as long as you dont eat out every day or travel every week. you're guaranteed to have a normal modest student living.

Can anyone let me know if the scholarships (full and partial) are directly awarded by the Geneva Academy or through the funds sourced from the Geneva-based foundations (HWF, for example)?

If nothing has changed, the funding comes from geneva-based foundations.

Are you aware of when we might expect to receive a rejection?

I'd say that they should come a week later after the admitted students are notified, but perhaps the GA is in a better possition to give you the timeline, so i'd rely of their estimate here.

Just wondering if you know of anyone who has received a rejection in the past?

I dont remeber anyone here who was rejected before the 'pre-selection', only one person who was rejected after it. you can try checking the earlier pages of this thread, i remeber lots of people who were waiting for a rejection far too long, but not sure if they were applying for a sholarship or not

[Edited by michq on Apr 12, 2019]

[quote]@michq if you could tell us... is the full scholarship monthly stipendium enough to make a living in Geneva? (paying rent, groceries...)[/quote]

yes, it's absolutely sufficient for all the needs, as long as you dont eat out every day or travel every week. you're guaranteed to have a normal modest student living.

[quote]Can anyone let me know if the scholarships (full and partial) are directly awarded by the Geneva Academy or through the funds sourced from the Geneva-based foundations (HWF, for example)?[/quote]

If nothing has changed, the funding comes from geneva-based foundations.

[quote]Are you aware of when we might expect to receive a rejection?[/quote]

I'd say that they should come a week later after the admitted students are notified, but perhaps the GA is in a better possition to give you the timeline, so i'd rely of their estimate here.

[quote]Just wondering if you know of anyone who has received a rejection in the past?[/quote]

I dont remeber anyone here who was rejected before the 'pre-selection', only one person who was rejected after it. you can try checking the earlier pages of this thread, i remeber lots of people who were waiting for a rejection far too long, but not sure if they were applying for a sholarship or not
liliy
I really don't know why would the donor reject an "accepted" student. Maybe insufficient proof of need or dubious info on the financial statement??? At least in this matter I feel quite confident, since I have written an extensive statement regarding hardship. :/

[Edited by liliy on Apr 12, 2019]

I really don't know why would the donor reject an "accepted" student. Maybe insufficient proof of need or dubious info on the financial statement??? At least in this matter I feel quite confident, since I have written an extensive statement regarding hardship. :/
Oliver12

Yeah - I wonder whether the donor sees our whole application (motivation letter etc) in addition to financial need. It looks like (from previous forums) we should know by the end of this month if we are accepted.
[quote]I really don't know why would the donor reject an "accepted" student. Maybe insufficient proof of need or dubious info on the financial statement??? At least in this matter I feel quite confident, since I have written an extensive statement regarding hardship. :/[/quote]

Yeah - I wonder whether the donor sees our whole application (motivation letter etc) in addition to financial need. It looks like (from previous forums) we should know by the end of this month if we are accepted.
charlielim
Two more weeks to go then. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.
Two more weeks to go then. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.
hale54
Hello everyone!

I am on the same page as you! Waiting is so hard. This may upset you but, I saw a photo of the email that confirms an applicant's acceptance with full-scholarship on 4, March 2019. I guess they started to send letters long before April. I don't know how many people exactly will accept with full-scholarship but do you think we have still a chance?

[Edited by hale54 on Apr 15, 2019]

Hello everyone!

I am on the same page as you! Waiting is so hard. This may upset you but, I saw a photo of the email that confirms an applicant's acceptance with full-scholarship on 4, March 2019. I guess they started to send letters long before April. I don't know how many people exactly will accept with full-scholarship but do you think we have still a chance?
liliy
No problem, Hale. Thank you for sharing!

What I imagine is that, despite those two or three scholarship recipients, there are many of us without answers. It is quite strange that, amid dozens of applicants, we only hear from one person.

Every Monday without an answer is excruciating, but I am trying to keep positive :)
No problem, Hale. Thank you for sharing!

What I imagine is that, despite those two or three scholarship recipients, there are many of us without answers. It is quite strange that, amid dozens of applicants, we only hear from one person.

Every Monday without an answer is excruciating, but I am trying to keep positive :)
Hello everyone!

That's some serious claim from a newly registered account ha! And I didn't know we can share images here.

P. S. Just trying to troll around. It's boring without some drama lol.

P. P S. I'm also a newly registered account. Don't mind me and my sourgraping.
[quote]Hello everyone!

I am on the same page as you! Waiting is so hard. This may upset you but, I saw a photo of the email that confirms an applicant's acceptance with full-scholarship on 4, March 2019. I guess they started to send letters long before April. I don't know how many people exactly will accept with full-scholarship but do you think we have still a chance? [/quote]

That's some serious claim from a newly registered account ha! And I didn't know we can share images here.

P. S. Just trying to troll around. It's boring without some drama lol.

P. P S. I'm also a newly registered account. Don't mind me and my sourgraping.
AG990
Guys, I inquired the status of selection process from GA via email. I have copied the reply for the benefit of all and I strongly recommend to inquire directly from GA to get the first hand information on your issues. If you can share those it will be much helpful to release the stressful waiting.

“We thank you for your message.

As said in our previous message we have indeed started the processes of selection and therefore have chosen some applicants already. However the process isn't finished yet and unfortunately we can't provide with more information.

Best regards,

The Geneva Academy”
Guys, I inquired the status of selection process from GA via email. I have copied the reply for the benefit of all and I strongly recommend to inquire directly from GA to get the first hand information on your issues. If you can share those it will be much helpful to release the stressful waiting.

“We thank you for your message.

As said in our previous message we have indeed started the processes of selection and therefore have chosen some applicants already. However the process isn't finished yet and unfortunately we can't provide with more information.

Best regards,

The Geneva Academy”

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Geneva, Switzerland 162 Followers 85 Discussions

Hot Discussions