Law School Rankings
Law school rankings are often a key determinant for deciding on an LL.M. program. Outlets like USNews and The Guardian regularly publish rankings of law schools.
Keep in mind that many of these rankings do not directly rank LL.M. programs, instead focusing on the law schools themselves or their undergraduate programs. However, LL.M. applicants can use the rankings to get a sense of a law school’s reputation and the factors that go into this, such as faculty strength and diversity.
When looking at rankings information, be sure to take methodology into account. The most robust rankings use a variety of factors, from post-graduation salary to diversity within law programs, to rank programs.
Below LLM GUIDE’s rankings—which list LL.M. programs only by popularity—you’ll find links to a number of different law school and LL.M. rankings.
LLM GUIDE Rankings by Popularity
United States (USA)
- USNews.com - America's Best Graduate Schools 2018: Top US Law Schools
- USNews.com - Best Graduate Schools: Law Specialties: Clinical Training, Dispute Resolution, Environmental Law, Healthcare Law, Intellectual Property Law, International Law, Law Firms Rank Schools, Legal Writing, Trial Advocacy, Part-time Law, Tax Law
- Leiter's Law School Rankings, by Brian Leiter (University of Chicago Law School) - aggregates a variety of rankings from around the web, including job placement rankings, clerkship placement rankings, etc.
- Vault Top 20 Law Schools
- National Law Journal "The Go-To-Schools" - Best Law Schools for BigLaw
- ILRG Law School Rankings by Median Salary
- ILRG Law School Rankings by Employment Rate
- Top 20 Law School Rankings by former Chief Justice Thomas E. Brennan
- The Ranking Game by Jeffrey E. Stake and Indiana University School of Law - Bloomington
United Kingdom (UK)
- The Guardian University Guide 2018: Law
- The Guardian University Guide 2017: Law
- The Guardian University Guide 2016: Law
- The Guardian University Guide 2015: Law
- The Guardian University Guide 2014: Law
- The Guardian University Guide 2013: Law
- The Guardian University Guide 2012: Law
- The Guardian University Guide 2011: Law
- The Guardian University Guide 2010: Law
- The Complete University Guide 2017 – Top Universities Law
- "karriere" Top 10 German Law Schools 2006 (pdf, in German)
- CHE / Die Zeit Ranking of German Law Schools (in German)
Asia and Australia
- Asiaweek - Asia's Best Universities 2000 lists universities from 16 countries includingAustralia, Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand,Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan and Thailand
- Netbig Chinese University Rankings: Law 2003 (in English),Comprehensive Ranking 2011 (in English)
- Sina.com: Top Law Schools in China 2007 (in Chinese), Sina.com: Top Universities in China 2007 (in Chinese), English Translation by John Graham
- India Today: Top 10 Indian Law Schools
- Lawentrance: Top Law Schools in India
- Rankings of Australian Universities
- Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings 2016
- Academic Ranking of World Universities 2015 published by the Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- US News Top World University Rankings
- QS World University Rankings by Subject - Law (2016)
Related LLM News
The Guardian Releases 2018 Law School Ranking
May 24, 2017
Are Law School Rankings Relevant for LL.M. Programs?
By Vanessa Ellingham on Oct 20, 2016
What law school rankings can tell prospective LL.M. students
University Ranking and its Discontents
By V. Wish on Apr 22, 2006
LLM GUIDE revisits the ongoing debate over the value of law school rankings