Harvard 2020-2021

Just received my acceptance email. Is anyone who’s been accepted planning to go despite COVID crisis ? I also have to figure out funding and did not apply for financial aid, so will either have to take Harvard financial loan program or external assistance. I’m wondering how useful this LLM will be to someone in their early 30s .. any tips from people with similar background will be useful

Are you thinking about not going because of it? I am worried, of course, very worried, actually, because I don’t want to pau such a large sum and have classes online. But doing to harvard has always been a dream, and hopefully thing will have settled by then...

Yes it definitely a factor which will determine a deferral decision for me. I'm a mature experienced candidate and am primarily keen on doing an LLM to network, have a broader perspective, take a break from law firm routine. It makes no sense for me to pay excessive fees and attend classes online from a dorm.
[quote][quote]Just received my acceptance email. Is anyone who’s been accepted planning to go despite COVID crisis ? I also have to figure out funding and did not apply for financial aid, so will either have to take Harvard financial loan program or external assistance. I’m wondering how useful this LLM will be to someone in their early 30s .. any tips from people with similar background will be useful [/quote]

Are you thinking about not going because of it? I am worried, of course, very worried, actually, because I don’t want to pau such a large sum and have classes online. But doing to harvard has always been a dream, and hopefully thing will have settled by then...[/quote]

Yes it definitely a factor which will determine a deferral decision for me. I'm a mature experienced candidate and am primarily keen on doing an LLM to network, have a broader perspective, take a break from law firm routine. It makes no sense for me to pay excessive fees and attend classes online from a dorm.
Kay0000
I predict the time pretty good, but I am out :D

Congratulations to those who made it!
I predict the time pretty good, but I am out :D

Congratulations to those who made it!
Suits
Do you think it is possible to report admission for the next year?
Do you think it is possible to report admission for the next year?
Adrilc
Just received my acceptance email. Is anyone who’s been accepted planning to go despite COVID crisis ? I also have to figure out funding and did not apply for financial aid, so will either have to take Harvard financial loan program or external assistance. I’m wondering how useful this LLM will be to someone in their early 30s .. any tips from people with similar background will be useful

Are you thinking about not going because of it? I am worried, of course, very worried, actually, because I don’t want to pau such a large sum and have classes online. But doing to harvard has always been a dream, and hopefully thing will have settled by then...

I agree, but my concern is, we have to give an answer by April 16th, do you think by that time we will know how things will develop? My fear is asking for a deferral (which they don’t always grant, do they) and then there being a normal semester.
[quote][quote][quote]Just received my acceptance email. Is anyone who’s been accepted planning to go despite COVID crisis ? I also have to figure out funding and did not apply for financial aid, so will either have to take Harvard financial loan program or external assistance. I’m wondering how useful this LLM will be to someone in their early 30s .. any tips from people with similar background will be useful [/quote]

Are you thinking about not going because of it? I am worried, of course, very worried, actually, because I don’t want to pau such a large sum and have classes online. But doing to harvard has always been a dream, and hopefully thing will have settled by then...[/quote]

Yes it definitely a factor which will determine a deferral decision for me. I'm a mature experienced candidate and am primarily keen on doing an LLM to network, have a broader perspective, take a break from law firm routine. It makes no sense for me to pay excessive fees and attend classes online from a dorm. [/quote]

I agree, but my concern is, we have to give an answer by April 16th, do you think by that time we will know how things will develop? My fear is asking for a deferral (which they don’t always grant, do they) and then there being a normal semester.

I agree, very curious to know how people are deciding ..
[quote][quote][quote][quote]Just received my acceptance email. Is anyone who’s been accepted planning to go despite COVID crisis ? I also have to figure out funding and did not apply for financial aid, so will either have to take Harvard financial loan program or external assistance. I’m wondering how useful this LLM will be to someone in their early 30s .. any tips from people with similar background will be useful [/quote]

Yes it definitely a factor which will determine a deferral decision for me. I'm a mature experienced candidate and am primarily keen on doing an LLM to network, have a broader perspective, take a break from law firm routine. It makes no sense for me to pay excessive fees and attend classes online from a dorm. [/quote]

I agree, but my concern is, we have to give an answer by April 16th, do you think by that time we will know how things will develop? My fear is asking for a deferral (which they don’t always grant, do they) and then there being a normal semester.[/quote]

I agree, very curious to know how people are deciding ..
sgllm2020
I can only assume they will give us an update soon. In all likelihood, HLS does not yet have internal clarity on if and how classes can proceed in August. Even universities which have been dealing with the effects of COVID-19 from a much earlier stage are still scrambling to adapt.
I can only assume they will give us an update soon. In all likelihood, HLS does not yet have internal clarity on if and how classes can proceed in August. Even universities which have been dealing with the effects of COVID-19 from a much earlier stage are still scrambling to adapt.
Adrilc
Anyone who has been admitted interested in starting a WhatsApp group, so that we can keep each other informed about decisions, updates on the virus at HLS, housing and so on?

Here is the link for the group:
https://chat.whatsapp.com/FBEmDOATxzA4krhgQCcBzM

[Edited by Adrilc on Mar 19, 2020]

Anyone who has been admitted interested in starting a WhatsApp group, so that we can keep each other informed about decisions, updates on the virus at HLS, housing and so on?

Here is the link for the group:
https://chat.whatsapp.com/FBEmDOATxzA4krhgQCcBzM
Bigkahuna
Hi,

I would be interested in joining, I was admitted as well. My fears also include insufficient funding and distance learning due to the virus. Do you have any experience about possible deferral (for what reasons and under which procedure can it be asked)? I'm also be interested in the amount of the financial package, since besides HLS, it seems I won't receive any other grant or financial support.
Hi,

I would be interested in joining, I was admitted as well. My fears also include insufficient funding and distance learning due to the virus. Do you have any experience about possible deferral (for what reasons and under which procedure can it be asked)? I'm also be interested in the amount of the financial package, since besides HLS, it seems I won't receive any other grant or financial support.
masmas

Yes please. Has a group been created already?
[quote]Anyone who has been admitted interested in starting a WhatsApp group, so that we can keep each other informed about decisions, updates on the virus at HLS, housing and so on?[/quote]

Adrilc
Hi,

Send me your phone via private message and I’ll create the group
[quote]Hi,

I would be interested in joining, I was admitted as well. My fears also include insufficient funding and distance learning due to the virus. Do you have any experience about possible deferral (for what reasons and under which procedure can it be asked)? I'm also be interested in the amount of the financial package, since besides HLS, it seems I won't receive any other grant or financial support.[/quote]

Adrilc

[quote][quote]Anyone who has been admitted interested in starting a WhatsApp group, so that we can keep each other informed about decisions, updates on the virus at HLS, housing and so on?[/quote]

Yes please. Has a group been created already?[/quote]

sgllm2020
Those who've received offers may wish to check their email for an update. The opening is noteworthy:

"I hope this message finds you safe and well as we all adjust to the extraordinary circumstances in which we find ourselves at the moment. As you no doubt are aware, the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has necessitated unprecedented measures around the world, including here at Harvard. While the situation remains deeply uncertain and rapidly evolving, we look forward to a better and more stable environment in the coming months and are working on the assumption that Harvard Law School will resume normal operations for the 2020-21 academic year."

I read this as a holding message and foreshadowing of probable further developments.
Those who've received offers may wish to check their email for an update. The opening is noteworthy:

"I hope this message finds you safe and well as we all adjust to the extraordinary circumstances in which we find ourselves at the moment. As you no doubt are aware, the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has necessitated unprecedented measures around the world, including here at Harvard. While the situation remains deeply uncertain and rapidly evolving, we look forward to a better and more stable environment in the coming months and are working on the assumption that Harvard Law School will resume normal operations for the 2020-21 academic year."

I read this as a holding message and foreshadowing of probable further developments.
wingingit
Hi,

Just sent you my details. Also interested in this group.

By the way, I exchanged some correspondence with Catherine from HLS and she’s informed me that if the Covid situation impacts the schedule in August, candidates who have accepted by April can choose to cancel or defer no questions asked.

Someone mentioned that deferment is not automatic and subject to their approval. How do you know ? As I know many people who have deferred in the past even for other Harvard courses and on their acceptance letter too it seems to be one the options available to you, along with rejecting or accepting the offer. There’s no mention of discretion so is this something I should be concerned about if I’m seriously considering it ?
[quote][quote]Hi,

I would be interested in joining, I was admitted as well. My fears also include insufficient funding and distance learning due to the virus. Do you have any experience about possible deferral (for what reasons and under which procedure can it be asked)? I'm also be interested in the amount of the financial package, since besides HLS, it seems I won't receive any other grant or financial support.[/quote]

Send me your phone via private message and I’ll create the group[/quote]

Just sent you my details. Also interested in this group.

By the way, I exchanged some correspondence with Catherine from HLS and she’s informed me that if the Covid situation impacts the schedule in August, candidates who have accepted by April can choose to cancel or defer no questions asked.

Someone mentioned that deferment is not automatic and subject to their approval. How do you know ? As I know many people who have deferred in the past even for other Harvard courses and on their acceptance letter too it seems to be one the options available to you, along with rejecting or accepting the offer. There’s no mention of discretion so is this something I should be concerned about if I’m seriously considering it ?
llmllm2020
Any idea when financial aid decisions would be released?
Any idea when financial aid decisions would be released?
abcd_97
Last year financial aid decisions were released on 25th March
Last year financial aid decisions were released on 25th March
abcd_97
Hi guys. Does anyone have any insight into when waitlisted applicants have received decisions based on previous years? And what the chances for waitlisted applicants are? Thanks in advance.
Hi guys. Does anyone have any insight into when waitlisted applicants have received decisions based on previous years? And what the chances for waitlisted applicants are? Thanks in advance.

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Cambridge, Massachusetts 1072 Followers 861 Discussions

Other Related Content

LL.M. Application Deadlines for Fall 2020 - US Law Schools

News Aug 26, 2019

Hot Discussions