IN @ NYU!!!


P.E.T.

Hi PET, what specialization will your Vanderbilt-awarded (full-tuition) friend pursue?

Anyone else admitted to International Tax LL.M. got the "Gerald Wallace" scholarship? When are you planning to claim the award, if planning to do so?

Thanks!

A close friend, to say the least, got accepted (e-mail with a link to a www.law.nyu.edu site with a pdf-file containing information on the scholarship etc) this morning and got the Vanderbilt full-tuition scholarship. My friend is from Europe.


general studies

<blockquote>Hi PET, what specialization will your Vanderbilt-awarded (full-tuition) friend pursue?

Anyone else admitted to International Tax LL.M. got the "Gerald Wallace" scholarship? When are you planning to claim the award, if planning to do so?

Thanks!

<blockquote>A close friend, to say the least, got accepted (e-mail with a link to a www.law.nyu.edu site with a pdf-file containing information on the scholarship etc) this morning and got the Vanderbilt full-tuition scholarship. My friend is from Europe.</blockquote></blockquote>

general studies
quote
Ally

Did anyone get an offer to the business track at NYU ??


I did. along with the 50% tutition fee waiver. I was thinking about the business program, but it is in June,I would rather stay at home then...

<blockquote>Did anyone get an offer to the business track at NYU ??</blockquote>

I did. along with the 50% tutition fee waiver. I was thinking about the business program, but it is in June,I would rather stay at home then...
quote
REM

In @ NYU on a full tuition Grotius scholarship (e-mail through the Fulbright commission this morning). Have to reply by March 6. No news from the other schools that I have applied to: CLS (regular cycle), HLS and YLS. Thoughts, advice?


just wondering - couldnt you just accept the scholarship and wait for the other universities answer? the worst that can happen (as I see it) is that you lose $ 500 or are there any other possible consequences? (besides it being unfair to other students - but it seems to me NYU provokes this kind of behavior with their deadlines)


No, you cant accept a scholarship or a law school offer and then retract and accept an offer from another school, except if they specifically state in the scholarship or admission agreement that is not binding.

In fact, there are some JDs admissions processes (i.e. early application for the JD degree at Chicago) that are binding as well. Basically, you make a commitment with them, so, you cant refuse the offer once accepted. If you do it, I dont think that they will sue you, but you will be blacklisted not only in that law school, but also in other.

The admission community is very small, and they know vey well each other, especially at top law school. They play among them a kind of fair play, so, if you play dirty, I believe that you could not only have problems with the law school that accepted you first, but also with the one that offered you admission after.

<blockquote><blockquote>In @ NYU on a full tuition Grotius scholarship (e-mail through the Fulbright commission this morning). Have to reply by March 6. No news from the other schools that I have applied to: CLS (regular cycle), HLS and YLS. Thoughts, advice?</blockquote>

just wondering - couldnt you just accept the scholarship and wait for the other universities answer? the worst that can happen (as I see it) is that you lose $ 500 or are there any other possible consequences? (besides it being unfair to other students - but it seems to me NYU provokes this kind of behavior with their deadlines)</blockquote>

No, you can’t accept a scholarship or a law school offer and then retract and accept an offer from another school, except if they specifically state in the scholarship or admission agreement that is not binding.

In fact, there are some JD’s admissions processes (i.e. early application for the JD degree at Chicago) that are binding as well. Basically, you make a commitment with them, so, you can’t refuse the offer once accepted. If you do it, I don’t think that they will sue you, but you will be blacklisted not only in that law school, but also in other.

The “admission community “is very small, and they know vey well each other, especially at top law school. They play among them a kind of “fair play”, so, if you play dirty, I believe that you could not only have problems with the law school that accepted you first, but also with the one that offered you admission after.

quote

I think REM is right, you cannot accept and them reject an offer. It is terrible for the way both Universities are going to look at you; they probably could be able to cut your scholarship, you might going to make others lose an opportunity and you never know the future. If you decide in the future try to do a Doctor Program in the University that you rejected, you will never get a spot there.

I think REM is right, you cannot accept and them reject an offer. It is terrible for the way both Universities are going to look at you; they probably could be able to cut your scholarship, you might going to make others lose an opportunity and you never know the future. If you decide in the future try to do a Doctor Program in the University that you rejected, you will never get a spot there.
quote
Joker1

REM,

I don't know about NYU, but I understand that in Columbia, the $500 deposit is to "reserve your place in the LLM program", so there should be no problem in paying the deposit and declining the offer later losing the $500.

¿No news about Yale yet?

Ciao

REM,

I don't know about NYU, but I understand that in Columbia, the $500 deposit is to "reserve your place in the LLM program", so there should be no problem in paying the deposit and declining the offer later losing the $500.

¿No news about Yale yet?

Ciao
quote
REM

REM,

I don't know about NYU, but I understand that in Columbia, the $500 deposit is to "reserve your place in the LLM program", so there should be no problem in paying the deposit and declining the offer later losing the $500.

¿No news about Yale yet?

Ciao


Hi Joker1, I think you're right. I don't believe that you could have problems if you reserve a spot paying $500 and then you retract. Maybe they will put you in a black list in CLS, but I don't think that you could suffer further consecuences, at least, if you have not accepted an scholarship or formally accept they offer, because, as you said, it seems that the $500 are only to reserve a place, but if you want to do it, I will recomend you to call CLS's Admissions Ofice (Dean Polo seems very nice) and ask them.

<blockquote>REM,

I don't know about NYU, but I understand that in Columbia, the $500 deposit is to "reserve your place in the LLM program", so there should be no problem in paying the deposit and declining the offer later losing the $500.

¿No news about Yale yet?

Ciao</blockquote>

Hi Joker1, I think you're right. I don't believe that you could have problems if you reserve a spot paying $500 and then you retract. Maybe they will put you in a black list in CLS, but I don't think that you could suffer further consecuences, at least, if you have not accepted an scholarship or formally accept they offer, because, as you said, it seems that the $500 are only to reserve a place, but if you want to do it, I will recomend you to call CLS's Admissions Ofice (Dean Polo seems very nice) and ask them.

quote
grugani

I agree. It is very common, indeed, to reserve a seat and withdraw at a later date, because of further decisions from other universities. They know other universities' deadlines... That is why they state all the time this is a non-refundable deposit. I don't believe you will be blacklisted or anything similar if you do that...

I agree. It is very common, indeed, to reserve a seat and withdraw at a later date, because of further decisions from other universities. They know other universities' deadlines... That is why they state all the time this is a non-refundable deposit. I don't believe you will be blacklisted or anything similar if you do that...
quote
REM

In sum, I (and the others that have posted above) believe that there are 3 hypothesis:

1) Reserve a seat
2) Accept an offer
3) Accept a scholarship

If you decline, you will suffer no further consequences in hypothesis (1), but you might suffer further consequences if you decline in hypothesis (2) and (3)

In sum, I (and the others that have posted above) believe that there are 3 hypothesis:

1) Reserve a seat
2) Accept an offer
3) Accept a scholarship

If you decline, you will suffer no further consequences in hypothesis (1), but you might suffer further consequences if you decline in hypothesis (2) and (3)
quote
TwelfthMon...

This might sound like complete paranoia, but at this stage, what the hell: Is it very absurd to fear that securing a spot/confirming enrollment at one school leads to rejection from other schools since this info on the applicant is passed along? Assuming that the school with the offer you accepted knows the other schools you were applying to (which is the case in some applications).

Thoughts?

This might sound like complete paranoia, but at this stage, what the hell: Is it very absurd to fear that securing a spot/confirming enrollment at one school leads to rejection from other schools since this info on the applicant is passed along? Assuming that the school with the offer you accepted knows the other schools you were applying to (which is the case in some applications).

Thoughts?
quote
rbp

REM,

I don't know about NYU, but I understand that in Columbia, the $500 deposit is to "reserve your place in the LLM program", so there should be no problem in paying the deposit and declining the offer later losing the $500


Paying a deposit to reserve your space, and then changing your mind because your circumstances changed is not serious. The worst that will happen is that you will lose your deposit. That's totally different from accepting the scholarship and still holding out for other schools. One of your obligations in accepting the scholarship is to withdraw your application from all other schools. If you fail to do so, you are breaking your contract. I don't expect the school will sue you, but don't be surprised if it becomes an issue when you are applying to the bar. This is precisely the sort of behavior that could stop someone from being admitted. So if you accept the scholarship, you must withdraw all other applications. If for some reason, you cannot attend, I suspect that would be forgiven as long as no dishonesty is involved. By forgiven, I don't mean the school would accept you again, but I don't believe the fallout would be more severe than that. You would just lose your deposit. It's dishonest actions that can create the problem.
rbp

<blockquote>REM,

I don't know about NYU, but I understand that in Columbia, the $500 deposit is to "reserve your place in the LLM program", so there should be no problem in paying the deposit and declining the offer later losing the $500
</blockquote>

Paying a deposit to reserve your space, and then changing your mind because your circumstances changed is not serious. The worst that will happen is that you will lose your deposit. That's totally different from accepting the scholarship and still holding out for other schools. One of your obligations in accepting the scholarship is to withdraw your application from all other schools. If you fail to do so, you are breaking your contract. I don't expect the school will sue you, but don't be surprised if it becomes an issue when you are applying to the bar. This is precisely the sort of behavior that could stop someone from being admitted. So if you accept the scholarship, you must withdraw all other applications. If for some reason, you cannot attend, I suspect that would be forgiven as long as no dishonesty is involved. By forgiven, I don't mean the school would accept you again, but I don't believe the fallout would be more severe than that. You would just lose your deposit. It's dishonest actions that can create the problem.
rbp
quote
yasminm

They're all right. The "scholarship" is meant to lock you in and you're thereafter ethically bound to go to that institution (I have my own views on the ethicality of such tactics, particularly because they gear it such that you have to rush rather than make a considered decision by often explicitly telling the students being considered that there is a "limited" pool of funds and it's first-come, first-served, but the school is not applying to enter the Bar, you might be and you therefore need to keep your LLM application process free from ethical quandries).

The schools that ask for a deposit, as far as I'm aware, know the difficulties that students face at the moment, and to that end, such a deposit serves merely as an expression of interest, and you're allowed to decide to go to another school; though of course if you're doing so, you forfeit the full deposit.

Though I can see the problems with such an approach, if I were you, what I might want to do is to gently prod the universities that I'm waiting to hear from asking them whether it would be possible to hear from them before the deadline for the deposit or scholarship decision kicks in.

They're all right. The "scholarship" is meant to lock you in and you're thereafter ethically bound to go to that institution (I have my own views on the ethicality of such tactics, particularly because they gear it such that you have to rush rather than make a considered decision by often explicitly telling the students being considered that there is a "limited" pool of funds and it's first-come, first-served, but the school is not applying to enter the Bar, you might be and you therefore need to keep your LLM application process free from ethical quandries).

The schools that ask for a deposit, as far as I'm aware, know the difficulties that students face at the moment, and to that end, such a deposit serves merely as an expression of interest, and you're allowed to decide to go to another school; though of course if you're doing so, you forfeit the full deposit.

Though I can see the problems with such an approach, if I were you, what I might want to do is to gently prod the universities that I'm waiting to hear from asking them whether it would be possible to hear from them before the deadline for the deposit or scholarship decision kicks in.
quote
Irishlad

I saw early that some people were trying to log on to the NYU admitted students website before they had recieved the e-mail. If you can't log on do you think this means you were rejected/waitlisted?

I saw early that some people were trying to log on to the NYU admitted students website before they had recieved the e-mail. If you can't log on do you think this means you were rejected/waitlisted?
quote
Patty

I don't think so. I think they are still making decisions and updating the page as they send out the decisions. If you still can't log, it means they are yet to update the page in regard to your status. It is not yet mid- March, and we all know that NYU accepts a bunch of students, so stop worrying and keep the faith!

I don't think so. I think they are still making decisions and updating the page as they send out the decisions. If you still can't log, it means they are yet to update the page in regard to your status. It is not yet mid- March, and we all know that NYU accepts a bunch of students, so stop worrying and keep the faith!
quote
rbp

The schools that ask for a deposit, as far as I'm aware, know the difficulties that students face at the moment, and to that end, such a deposit serves merely as an expression of interest, and you're allowed to decide to go to another school; though of course if you're doing so, you forfeit the full deposit.


I want to clarify one point in which I differ from yasminm. When I said that it's okay to send a deposit, and then change your mind, I meant only as long as you follow the rules for submitting the deposit. In other words, at NYU for example, submitting a deposit requires you to withdraw your application from all other schools, so even if you are not accepting a scholarship, you cannot reserve a seat unless you have withdrawn from other schools. When I said that you can change your mind, I meant that, in the case of NYU, for example, if you withdraw from all other schools and submit a deposit, and then circumstances change and you can't attend the school for some other reason, then it would be okay to cancel. If some other school does not require you to withdraw in order to reserve your seat, then that's a different story. The point is only that you have to follow whatever rules are in place for reserving a seat.

rbp

<blockquote>The schools that ask for a deposit, as far as I'm aware, know the difficulties that students face at the moment, and to that end, such a deposit serves merely as an expression of interest, and you're allowed to decide to go to another school; though of course if you're doing so, you forfeit the full deposit.
</blockquote>

I want to clarify one point in which I differ from yasminm. When I said that it's okay to send a deposit, and then change your mind, I meant only as long as you follow the rules for submitting the deposit. In other words, at NYU for example, submitting a deposit requires you to withdraw your application from all other schools, so even if you are not accepting a scholarship, you cannot reserve a seat unless you have withdrawn from other schools. When I said that you can change your mind, I meant that, in the case of NYU, for example, if you withdraw from all other schools and submit a deposit, and then circumstances change and you can't attend the school for some other reason, then it would be okay to cancel. If some other school does not require you to withdraw in order to reserve your seat, then that's a different story. The point is only that you have to follow whatever rules are in place for reserving a seat.

rbp
quote
yasminm

Thanks for clarifying rbp. You're right, my comment was in relation to the deposit policy of most other schools and not in relation to schools that require a deposit AND a withdrawal of all other applications. My apologies for not making this clear and thanks for clarifying (and reminding me that two kinds of deposit mechanisms exists between law schools, one which just requires payment and one which requires payment AND an affirmative obligation to withdraw other applications) :)

Thanks for clarifying rbp. You're right, my comment was in relation to the deposit policy of most other schools and not in relation to schools that require a deposit AND a withdrawal of all other applications. My apologies for not making this clear and thanks for clarifying (and reminding me that two kinds of deposit mechanisms exists between law schools, one which just requires payment and one which requires payment AND an affirmative obligation to withdraw other applications) :)
quote
grugani

I'm in! Just got an email notifying the decision was available in the application website and downloaded it. Nothing about scholarships... :(

I'm in! Just got an email notifying the decision was available in the application website and downloaded it. Nothing about scholarships... :(
quote
BUG

same as grugani. i'm in, no $

same as grugani. i'm in, no $
quote
michaelcor...

congratulations grugani & BUG!

congratulations grugani & BUG!
quote
RAMP

congrats both of you
I'm still waiting for an answer.......any kind....but an aswer

congrats both of you
I'm still waiting for an answer.......any kind....but an aswer
quote

I just got in. International Tax. No scholarship.

I just got in. International Tax. No scholarship.
quote

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

New York City, New York 2087 Followers 1593 Discussions

Hot Discussions