Oxford BCL/MJur 2019-2020

charlielim
Most of my friends that were successful in their applications slightly modified papers that they submitted for university assignments.

It does say somewhere on the oxford website that a lack of publications won't be viewed negatively, and that they understand that there are limited opportunities to have work published for a lot of applicants. In those circumstances I reckon you will be fine adapting a uni paper.

Thanks for this!
[quote]Most of my friends that were successful in their applications slightly modified papers that they submitted for university assignments.

It does say somewhere on the oxford website that a lack of publications won't be viewed negatively, and that they understand that there are limited opportunities to have work published for a lot of applicants. In those circumstances I reckon you will be fine adapting a uni paper.[/quote]

Thanks for this!
Mombastic
Most of my friends that were successful in their applications slightly modified papers that they submitted for university assignments.

It does say somewhere on the oxford website that a lack of publications won't be viewed negatively, and that they understand that there are limited opportunities to have work published for a lot of applicants. In those circumstances I reckon you will be fine adapting a uni paper.

Correct. The paper I submitted was my Dissertation. It had one of the highest grades out of my final year assignments. Make sure it has critical analysis and (perhaps the most important aspect) you are able to argue your POINT.

I am saying this because during tutorials you will not simply say what X,Y,Z said for apples and what A,B,C said for peaches. You are indeed expected to outline the arguments of both sides, but you must form your OWN opinion. This is crucial here! I am sure you will do well :) As long as your paper has, I repeat, a coherent structure, you should be on the right track. Good luck!
[quote]Most of my friends that were successful in their applications slightly modified papers that they submitted for university assignments.

It does say somewhere on the oxford website that a lack of publications won't be viewed negatively, and that they understand that there are limited opportunities to have work published for a lot of applicants. In those circumstances I reckon you will be fine adapting a uni paper.[/quote]

Correct. The paper I submitted was my Dissertation. It had one of the highest grades out of my final year assignments. Make sure it has critical analysis and (perhaps the most important aspect) you are able to argue your POINT.

I am saying this because during tutorials you will not simply say what X,Y,Z said for apples and what A,B,C said for peaches. You are indeed expected to outline the arguments of both sides, but you must form your OWN opinion. This is crucial here! I am sure you will do well :) As long as your paper has, I repeat, a coherent structure, you should be on the right track. Good luck!
Sgwarn
How is the application going for everyone? Only a few days left now, and I'm still refining (or, rather, attempting to refine) my personal statement.

It's all just very concerning when we don't know what we're judged on or, for that matter, whether we are what they're looking for.
How is the application going for everyone? Only a few days left now, and I'm still refining (or, rather, attempting to refine) my personal statement.

It's all just very concerning when we don't know what we're judged on or, for that matter, whether we are what they're looking for.
Hi, I'm from a top Indian law school, have a couple of solid publications, other academic experience at the university level including a teaching assistantship and good referees (including one from a professor who holds a BCL and DPhil from Oxford). I also have decent mooting and extra-curricular achievements on my CV. I'm concerned, however, with the suggestion that the top 5% requirement at Oxford is applied strictly - I'm ranked 5th in a class of around 80 students so I'm in the top 6%. As trivial as it sounds, does anyone have a sense of whether this would significantly affect my chances at getting into Oxford, and possibly getting a scholarship for the BCL? My interests are broadly in the intersection between public and private law, and I've expressed that pretty clearly in my SoP and essay. I'd really appreciate your views. Thanks!
Hi, I'm from a top Indian law school, have a couple of solid publications, other academic experience at the university level including a teaching assistantship and good referees (including one from a professor who holds a BCL and DPhil from Oxford). I also have decent mooting and extra-curricular achievements on my CV. I'm concerned, however, with the suggestion that the top 5% requirement at Oxford is applied strictly - I'm ranked 5th in a class of around 80 students so I'm in the top 6%. As trivial as it sounds, does anyone have a sense of whether this would significantly affect my chances at getting into Oxford, and possibly getting a scholarship for the BCL? My interests are broadly in the intersection between public and private law, and I've expressed that pretty clearly in my SoP and essay. I'd really appreciate your views. Thanks!
Mombastic

You overcomplicate it. Just apply - you have chances! Have trust in yourself :)
[quote]Hi, I'm from a top Indian law school, have a couple of solid publications, other academic experience at the university level including a teaching assistantship and good referees (including one from a professor who holds a BCL and DPhil from Oxford). I also have decent mooting and extra-curricular achievements on my CV. I'm concerned, however, with the suggestion that the top 5% requirement at Oxford is applied strictly - I'm ranked 5th in a class of around 80 students so I'm in the top 6%. As trivial as it sounds, does anyone have a sense of whether this would significantly affect my chances at getting into Oxford, and possibly getting a scholarship for the BCL? My interests are broadly in the intersection between public and private law, and I've expressed that pretty clearly in my SoP and essay. I'd really appreciate your views. Thanks! [/quote]

charlielim

Ha! I had the same query earlier regarding an excess of 0.3 from 5%.

Mombastic's advice is sound. We'll never know unless we try.

On a related note, I just submitted my application. Good luck to us all!
[quote][quote]Hi, I'm from a top Indian law school, have a couple of solid publications, other academic experience at the university level including a teaching assistantship and good referees (including one from a professor who holds a BCL and DPhil from Oxford). I also have decent mooting and extra-curricular achievements on my CV. I'm concerned, however, with the suggestion that the top 5% requirement at Oxford is applied strictly - I'm ranked 5th in a class of around 80 students so I'm in the top 6%. As trivial as it sounds, does anyone have a sense of whether this would significantly affect my chances at getting into Oxford, and possibly getting a scholarship for the BCL? My interests are broadly in the intersection between public and private law, and I've expressed that pretty clearly in my SoP and essay. I'd really appreciate your views. Thanks! [/quote]

You overcomplicate it. Just apply - you have chances! Have trust in yourself :) [/quote]

Ha! I had the same query earlier regarding an excess of 0.3 from 5%.

Mombastic's advice is sound. We'll never know unless we try.

On a related note, I just submitted my application. Good luck to us all!
Sgwarn
Just submitted. Hopefully the wait won't be too long before we find out. Best of luck to all who apply, I'm sure we're all worthy students.
Just submitted. Hopefully the wait won't be too long before we find out. Best of luck to all who apply, I'm sure we're all worthy students.
F_Cvl
Just submitted my MJur application as well. Best of luck to all of you!
Just submitted my MJur application as well. Best of luck to all of you!
Submitted with 2 mins to spare. Good luck all.
Submitted with 2 mins to spare. Good luck all.
Submitted my MJur application as well. Best of luck to all.
Submitted my MJur application as well. Best of luck to all.
Rimbaud
Does anyone know when offers began to be sent out last year?
Sgwarn

Don't quote me, but I believe that it was around 12 March. If I remember rightly, offers began to be sent out before rejections. If that's any help.
[quote]Does anyone know when offers began to be sent out last year? [/quote]

Don't quote me, but I believe that it was around 12 March. If I remember rightly, offers began to be sent out before rejections. If that's any help.
tonyb

I applied in 2016. I got my offer on March 16th... a friend of mine also applied that year. He got a rejection a little before I got my offer.
So I’d say we could expect some news in mid March.
[quote]Does anyone know when offers began to be sent out last year? [/quote]

I applied in 2016. I got my offer on March 16th... a friend of mine also applied that year. He got a rejection a little before I got my offer.
So I’d say we could expect some news in mid March.

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Oxford, United Kingdom 680 Followers 775 Discussions

Hot Discussions