Oxford BCL/MJur 2019-2020

Mombastic
Have created this thread for prospective BCL applicants to avoid confusion on the forum. Good luck to everyone :)

[Edited by Mombastic on Sep 09, 2018]

Have created this thread for prospective BCL applicants to avoid confusion on the forum. Good luck to everyone :)
LPrime84
Hey, thanks for creating the thread! The deadline is still a bit away, but has anybody else applied?
Hey, thanks for creating the thread! The deadline is still a bit away, but has anybody else applied?

razmataz

Hello! Thank you for making this thread @Mombastic

I recently submitted my applications to Harvard and Cambridge. Presently working on the 2000 word essay for the BCL application, and, boy, it's driving me nuts :)

How's everybody else's applications coming along?
[quote]Have created this thread for prospective BCL applicants to avoid confusion on the forum. Good luck to everyone :)[/quote]

Hello! Thank you for making this thread @Mombastic

I recently submitted my applications to Harvard and Cambridge. Presently working on the 2000 word essay for the BCL application, and, boy, it's driving me nuts :)

How's everybody else's applications coming along?
Sgwarn
Hi all,

I'm also applying to the BCL this year, after having been rejected last year. As I've now graduated, I'm (slightly) more hopeful. How are everyone's applications going?
Hi all,

I'm also applying to the BCL this year, after having been rejected last year. As I've now graduated, I'm (slightly) more hopeful. How are everyone's applications going?
charlielim
I am applying to the MJur programme. Not done yet with the essay. It's killing me.
I am applying to the MJur programme. Not done yet with the essay. It's killing me.
intending on applying to BCL, also attempting to write an essay. Are most people writing something specific for their application?
intending on applying to BCL, also attempting to write an essay. Are most people writing something specific for their application?
Also out of curiosity, how strict do you guys think the top 5% requirement is?
charlielim

Yes. I am tying my application to a single field (international law). Hence, I am writing an essay on international law.
[quote]intending on applying to BCL, also attempting to write an essay. Are most people writing something specific for their application?[/quote]

Yes. I am tying my application to a single field (international law). Hence, I am writing an essay on international law.
razmataz
Rather strict, I hear. Once the top 5% hurdle has been crossed, I am told the written sample (2,000 words) and references play a determining role.
[quote]Also out of curiosity, how strict do you guys think the top 5% requirement is?[/quote] Rather strict, I hear. Once the top 5% hurdle has been crossed, I am told the written sample (2,000 words) and references play a determining role.
razmataz

I'm extracting and editing from an earlier article I had written on comparative constitutional law.
[quote]intending on applying to BCL, also attempting to write an essay. Are most people writing something specific for their application?[/quote]

I'm extracting and editing from an earlier article I had written on comparative constitutional law.
razmataz

The SoP is killing me. lol. 300 words is too tight a word-limit.
[quote]I am applying to the MJur programme. Not done yet with the essay. It's killing me. [/quote]

The SoP is killing me. lol. 300 words is too tight a word-limit.
charlielim
Rather strict, I hear. Once the top 5% hurdle has been crossed, I am told the written sample (2,000 words) and references play a determining role.

I'm in the top 5.3%. Do you think the extra 0.3% will have an impact?
[quote][quote]Also out of curiosity, how strict do you guys think the top 5% requirement is?[/quote] Rather strict, I hear. Once the top 5% hurdle has been crossed, I am told the written sample (2,000 words) and references play a determining role.[/quote]

razmataz

No, not really. I think you should still have a competitive chance. Cheers and good luck to you! :)
[quote][quote][quote]Also out of curiosity, how strict do you guys think the top 5% requirement is?[/quote] Rather strict, I hear. Once the top 5% hurdle has been crossed, I am told the written sample (2,000 words) and references play a determining role.[/quote]

I'm in the top 5.3%. Do you think the extra 0.3% will have an impact? [/quote]

No, not really. I think you should still have a competitive chance. Cheers and good luck to you! :)
razmataz
Hey, for the benefit of those who have questions regarding word-count (i.e. for the Personal Statement and Written Sample) I am sharing an email exchange I just had with the Law Graduate Enquiries at Oxford. Hope this helps!

-------------------------------------------------

MY EMAIL:

Dear Graduate Admissions,

Happy New Year and I trust this finds you well.

I am presently applying to the BCL programme (2019 intake).

Your website mentions that my Personal Statement is to be “around 300 words”. Would this mean that I can submit a Personal Statement that amounts to about 500-600 words (i.e. about one page), or is there is a specific word-limit beneath this figure that I am expected not to cross? Further, my 2,000-word written sample exceeds the prescribed word count by about 150 words. May I submit the written sample in this form, or must it strictly be within 2,000 words?

I would be grateful for your clarifications. I will submit my application at the soonest on hearing from you.

With warm regards,

THEIR RESPONSE:

Dear _________________,

Thank you for your email. Yes, both are fine to submit as they are.

Kind regards
Hey, for the benefit of those who have questions regarding word-count (i.e. for the Personal Statement and Written Sample) I am sharing an email exchange I just had with the Law Graduate Enquiries at Oxford. Hope this helps!

MY EMAIL:

Dear Graduate Admissions,

Happy New Year and I trust this finds you well.

I am presently applying to the BCL programme (2019 intake).

Your website mentions that my Personal Statement is to be “around 300 words”. Would this mean that I can submit a Personal Statement that amounts to about 500-600 words (i.e. about one page), or is there is a specific word-limit beneath this figure that I am expected not to cross? Further, my 2,000-word written sample exceeds the prescribed word count by about 150 words. May I submit the written sample in this form, or must it strictly be within 2,000 words?

I would be grateful for your clarifications. I will submit my application at the soonest on hearing from you.

With warm regards,

THEIR RESPONSE:

Dear _________________,

Thank you for your email. Yes, both are fine to submit as they are.

Kind regards
Thank you razmataz. This is really helpful.
Thank you razmataz. This is really helpful.
Cheers Razmataz that is helpful.

In the anecdotal experience/opinion of the group, do you guys think that you may be in with a shot if you were in the 5-10% of your class?

In the anecdotal experience/opinion of the group, do you guys think that you may be in with a shot if you were in the 5-10% of your class?
Mombastic

Short answer - yes. The more in the top the better, but these are all relative numbers. Don't waste your energy on the percentage, it's just to advertise you better. Highlight how your academic achievements etc. have prepared you for the course.

Good luck!

[Edited by Mombastic on Jan 09, 2019]

[quote]Cheers Razmataz that is helpful.

In the anecdotal experience/opinion of the group, do you guys think that you may be in with a shot if you were in the 5-10% of your class?[/quote]

Short answer - yes. The more in the top the better, but these are all relative numbers. Don't waste your energy on the percentage, it's just to advertise you better. Highlight how your academic achievements etc. have prepared you for the course.

Good luck!
Mombastic

Literally, no one cares about the 0.3% - don't desperate. Just put 5%.
[quote][quote][quote][quote]Also out of curiosity, how strict do you guys think the top 5% requirement is?[/quote] Rather strict, I hear. Once the top 5% hurdle has been crossed, I am told the written sample (2,000 words) and references play a determining role.[/quote]

I'm in the top 5.3%. Do you think the extra 0.3% will have an impact? [/quote]

No, not really. I think you should still have a competitive chance. Cheers and good luck to you! :)[/quote]

Literally, no one cares about the 0.3% - don't desperate. Just put 5%.
charlielim
I'm having a hard time with the 2000-word essay. I had several papers in law school where I got really great marks. I think I can modify and submit them as my admissions essay. But I read somewhere that the essay should be of publishable quality. My law school essays are certainly not publishable. (I have a few publications but they are not related to what I intend to specialize on).

I hope current or past BCL or MJur students can answer this. How good should the paper be? Does it really need to be of publishable quality? Thanks in advance!

P. S. The 2000-word essay makes Oxford BCL and MJur the most difficult admissions process lol. Didn't have this problem other law schools.

[Edited by charlielim on Jan 13, 2019]

I'm having a hard time with the 2000-word essay. I had several papers in law school where I got really great marks. I think I can modify and submit them as my admissions essay. But I read somewhere that the essay should be of publishable quality. My law school essays are certainly not publishable. (I have a few publications but they are not related to what I intend to specialize on).

I hope current or past BCL or MJur students can answer this. How good should the paper be? Does it really need to be of publishable quality? Thanks in advance!

P. S. The 2000-word essay makes Oxford BCL and MJur the most difficult admissions process lol. Didn't have this problem other law schools.
Most of my friends that were successful in their applications slightly modified papers that they submitted for university assignments.

It does say somewhere on the oxford website that a lack of publications won't be viewed negatively, and that they understand that there are limited opportunities to have work published for a lot of applicants. In those circumstances I reckon you will be fine adapting a uni paper.
Most of my friends that were successful in their applications slightly modified papers that they submitted for university assignments.

It does say somewhere on the oxford website that a lack of publications won't be viewed negatively, and that they understand that there are limited opportunities to have work published for a lot of applicants. In those circumstances I reckon you will be fine adapting a uni paper.

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Oxford, United Kingdom 675 Followers 773 Discussions

Hot Discussions