Oxford Chances

Optimistic
Good debate guys. I am wondering which more important is to graduate from top university or to be from the top 5%?

I think the general view is that most BCL/MJur students graduated in the top 5% of their cohort with some graduating out of that if they, for example, studied their undergrad at Cambridge. I also think that generally Cambridge admits students within the top 10%. Cambridge's website refers to top 10%: http://www.llm.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/admissions-criteria.html

Do you think who received offers from LSE have a decent chance to enroll in Oxbridge?
In other words, do you think having an offer from Oxbridge is much harder than having an offer from LSE?
[quote][quote]Good debate guys. I am wondering which more important is to graduate from top university or to be from the top 5%?[/quote]

I think the general view is that most BCL/MJur students graduated in the top 5% of their cohort with some graduating out of that if they, for example, studied their undergrad at Cambridge. I also think that generally Cambridge admits students within the top 10%. Cambridge's website refers to top 10%: http://www.llm.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/admissions-criteria.html [/quote]

Do you think who received offers from LSE have a decent chance to enroll in Oxbridge?
In other words, do you think having an offer from Oxbridge is much harder than having an offer from LSE?
Mombastic
Good debate guys. I am wondering which more important is to graduate from top university or to be from the top 5%?

I think the general view is that most BCL/MJur students graduated in the top 5% of their cohort with some graduating out of that if they, for example, studied their undergrad at Cambridge. I also think that generally Cambridge admits students within the top 10%. Cambridge's website refers to top 10%: http://www.llm.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/admissions-criteria.html

Logically, it should be - but don't forget that LSE receives more applications thus more offers. Their requirement is a minimum high 2:1, which makes me think that they are more lenient.
[quote][quote][quote]Good debate guys. I am wondering which more important is to graduate from top university or to be from the top 5%?[/quote]

I think the general view is that most BCL/MJur students graduated in the top 5% of their cohort with some graduating out of that if they, for example, studied their undergrad at Cambridge. I also think that generally Cambridge admits students within the top 10%. Cambridge's website refers to top 10%: http://www.llm.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/admissions-criteria.html [/quote]

In other words, do you think having an offer from Oxbridge is much harder than having an offer from LSE?[/quote]

Logically, it should be - but don't forget that LSE receives more applications thus more offers. Their requirement is a minimum high 2:1, which makes me think that they are more lenient.
VisionMed
Well...

[Edited by VisionMed on Jul 12, 2018]

Well...
Mombastic
Mombastic, I came top 3 but if you came top 2%, that must be pretty close. I'm very surprised that you didn't get an offer from Cambridge. Do you have any idea why that might be such as poor references or a rushed application?

I was puzzled as well - and my referees too. No, definitely I did not. I had very good references (and when I put an adjective I usually mean it), the CV was flowing OK and the application was not rushed at all. I do remember instead that I had some issues with the two questions because they overlapped, but I ensured that they would not pose any issues in the end. I don't get what went wrong...

I hope that my app for the BCL will go fine, but Cambridge discouraged me + the competition for Oxford is more fierce as far as I am aware of. Whatever, we shall wait and see :)

P.S.: Congrats for Cambridge :)

[Edited by Mombastic on Feb 28, 2018]

[quote]Mombastic, I came top 3 but if you came top 2%, that must be pretty close. I'm very surprised that you didn't get an offer from Cambridge. Do you have any idea why that might be such as poor references or a rushed application?[/quote]

I was puzzled as well - and my referees too. No, definitely I did not. I had very good references (and when I put an adjective I usually mean it), the CV was flowing OK and the application was not rushed at all. I do remember instead that I had some issues with the two questions because they overlapped, but I ensured that they would not pose any issues in the end. I don't get what went wrong...

I hope that my app for the BCL will go fine, but Cambridge discouraged me + the competition for Oxford is more fierce as far as I am aware of. Whatever, we shall wait and see :)

P.S.: Congrats for Cambridge :)

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Oxford, United Kingdom 704 Followers 775 Discussions

Hot Discussions