Employment prospects after a JD

Durham Red

Hi everyone

I am about to turn down my LLM offers after speaking to the careers people at a couple of good universities who have said the chances of getting work in the US after an LLM is negligible (even in times of economic growth).

I am now looking at doing a JD instead so I have a couple of questions:

1) Is a two year JD considered as good as a three year one (from a comparable law school)?

2) In an average year (not a horrendous recession year) how likley is a practising UK lawyer to find work in the US after taking a JD?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone

I am about to turn down my LLM offers after speaking to the careers people at a couple of good universities who have said the chances of getting work in the US after an LLM is negligible (even in times of economic growth).

I am now looking at doing a JD instead so I have a couple of questions:

1) Is a two year JD considered as good as a three year one (from a comparable law school)?

2) In an average year (not a horrendous recession year) how likley is a practising UK lawyer to find work in the US after taking a JD?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
ajibra

To answer your questions, your JD is as valuable whether it is 2 or 3 years. The difference might come from what schools you received your degree from. Getting you 2 year JD from Northwestern for example would definitely open doors for you into top law firms easily...

To answer your questions, your JD is as valuable whether it is 2 or 3 years. The difference might come from what schools you received your degree from. Getting you 2 year JD from Northwestern for example would definitely open doors for you into top law firms easily...
Durham Red

Thank you for your response. I am only considering the Northwestern JD because other universities offering a 2 yr JD are Tier 3 or 4. I'm currently trying to ascertain whether UTexas will allow me to convert an LLM into the first year of a JD because I have my heart set on going there. How do you think a JD from UTexas, Boston Uni or George Washington fare in the job Market?

Thank you for your response. I am only considering the Northwestern JD because other universities offering a 2 yr JD are Tier 3 or 4. I'm currently trying to ascertain whether UTexas will allow me to convert an LLM into the first year of a JD because I have my heart set on going there. How do you think a JD from UTexas, Boston Uni or George Washington fare in the job Market?
ajibra

Those 3 schools are great schools. I would say that UTexas probably has the best prospects of the 3 nationally, followed by Boston Univ and then George Washington. If I had such option, I'll be going to Texas without thinking twice. I live in Houston Texas so I know Texas grads are perceived very well here..

Those 3 schools are great schools. I would say that UTexas probably has the best prospects of the 3 nationally, followed by Boston Univ and then George Washington. If I had such option, I'll be going to Texas without thinking twice. I live in Houston Texas so I know Texas grads are perceived very well here..
Durham Red

Thanks again for the advice.

I got some welcome news from the Dean of the University of Texas Law School so I'm hoping to spend 3 years in Austin now!

As I am only studying law in the US to make me more employable there I am hoping the global economy picks up in the next few years as $50k on an LLM was a comfortable amount to spend but, on realising the LLM is not a guaranteed employment door-opener, $150K is a HUGE investment if I still can't get an H1B sponsor in 3 years' time. Hopefully 3 years in Texas will take the edge off my English accent so I won't sound so 'foreign'!

I've been to Houston, Austin, Kemah, Fort Worth and Dallas on my travels and, if I end up spending the rest of my life there, I'll be very happy.

Thanks again for the advice.

I got some welcome news from the Dean of the University of Texas Law School so I'm hoping to spend 3 years in Austin now!

As I am only studying law in the US to make me more employable there I am hoping the global economy picks up in the next few years as $50k on an LLM was a comfortable amount to spend but, on realising the LLM is not a guaranteed employment door-opener, $150K is a HUGE investment if I still can't get an H1B sponsor in 3 years' time. Hopefully 3 years in Texas will take the edge off my English accent so I won't sound so 'foreign'!

I've been to Houston, Austin, Kemah, Fort Worth and Dallas on my travels and, if I end up spending the rest of my life there, I'll be very happy.

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Austin, Texas 127 Followers 110 Discussions

Other Related Content

16 US Law Schools to Hold an LL.M. Conference Event

News May 05, 2021

Hot Discussions