US citizen considering a law degree in Australia

hljames96
Hi All,

I am a US student who is considering living in Australia. I just graduated from Cornell University with a 3.98 GPA and a 171 LSAT, so I have the chance to attend some of the best schools in the country here. That being said, I love Australia and could see myself living there.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the job market is like for lawyers in Australia. If I study there, will my being American limit my career opportunities? I am kind of desperate for advice because I would hate to give up a chance to attend a top 3 US law school for nothing, especially if I might not be able to find a job in Australia.

Thanks
Hi All,

I am a US student who is considering living in Australia. I just graduated from Cornell University with a 3.98 GPA and a 171 LSAT, so I have the chance to attend some of the best schools in the country here. That being said, I love Australia and could see myself living there.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the job market is like for lawyers in Australia. If I study there, will my being American limit my career opportunities? I am kind of desperate for advice because I would hate to give up a chance to attend a top 3 US law school for nothing, especially if I might not be able to find a job in Australia.

Thanks
Syd2030
Hi there,
I'm an Australian who graduated from the University of Sydney Law School with a Bachelor of Arts/Laws. I'm now applying for US LLMs.
I work at a top 3 law firm in Sydney and I believe that if you attended law school here (ie did the JD) and got good grades, had good ECs and preferably some legal work experience while you're here, you'd stand a very, very strong chance with your Cornell background.
The legal job market is very strong at the moment here.

The top tier firms love diversity, and being from a US background/Ivy League would be interesting and distinctive.
Happy to discuss more!

[Edited by Syd2030 on Dec 05, 2019]

Hi there,
I'm an Australian who graduated from the University of Sydney Law School with a Bachelor of Arts/Laws. I'm now applying for US LLMs.
I work at a top 3 law firm in Sydney and I believe that if you attended law school here (ie did the JD) and got good grades, had good ECs and preferably some legal work experience while you're here, you'd stand a very, very strong chance with your Cornell background.
The legal job market is very strong at the moment here.

The top tier firms love diversity, and being from a US background/Ivy League would be interesting and distinctive.
Happy to discuss more!

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Ithaca, New York 449 Followers 305 Discussions