Hi,

I was just hoping for some advice is anyone has any, maybe from their own experience. I qualified as a solicitor in the UK in 2006, having done the PgDL and LPC route. For various reasons I ended up practising for less than a year after I qualified but I have done a few quasi-legal roles since then.

I am now doing an LLM in NSW, having been assessed by the LPAB as being required to do 7 modules in order to be admitted to practice as a solicitor in NSW. I am doing this in order to enter the country with a view to remain in order to join family that already live there. So, in all honesty, it's not necessarily my first choice - it was the only option available to me.

I've just started my first module and I feel completely overwhelmed. Admittedly it is a condensed module in the summer holidays but I'm finding it really hard. My timetable for Semester 1 puts me as doing 5 modules, which I have been told is going to be very difficult.

I just want to pass, I'm under no illusion that I'm going to get an HD. I just wondered if anyone knew from experience whether I am worried about nothing. The way I feel right now is that I'm not going to pass. I am doing the readings and attending lectures and starting to prepare for presentations/assessments but I find myself getting confused and going off on tangents when I'm trying to study.

I have no knowledge of Australian law before now. But the modules all seem to expect that. I do wonder why I was accepted onto the course in the first place, if I'm honest. My legal experience/knowledge is negligible. Passing the PgDL and LPC 16 and 17 years ago and barely practising since doesn't even give me the right to call myself a "solicitor" which is why I never have.

Does anyone have an idea as to whether this workload is possible in my circumstances? If I passed the PgDL and LPC is an LLM (Australian) harder than that?
Many thanks in advance