what happens if I accept two different offers


Dear all,
I accepted the offer of a school and deposited the initial payment. I have not been asked to withdraw other applications.
Now I received another offer from another school which I prefer more.
How should I act now? Should I first withdraw my application to the first one or should I accept the offer of the second one first?
With the first one I haven't started the visa applications, I-20 etc. I just accepted their offer.
As both of the schools are top 10 schools, I don't want to risk my acceptances. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Dear all,
I accepted the offer of a school and deposited the initial payment. I have not been asked to withdraw other applications.
Now I received another offer from another school which I prefer more.
How should I act now? Should I first withdraw my application to the first one or should I accept the offer of the second one first?
With the first one I haven't started the visa applications, I-20 etc. I just accepted their offer.
As both of the schools are top 10 schools, I don't want to risk my acceptances. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
quote
Santa
Just accept the second school and send an e-mail to the first school afterwards that you won't be attending after all.
Just accept the second school and send an e-mail to the first school afterwards that you won't be attending after all.
quote
Gregor2009
yeah, they will just eat your deposit up and blacklist you! Well, not sure about the second part but I doubt you should worry because you will be attending reading your LLM somewhere else!
yeah, they will just eat your deposit up and blacklist you! Well, not sure about the second part but I doubt you should worry because you will be attending reading your LLM somewhere else!
quote
Claire75
U die
U die
quote
Interalia
its pretty normal. I accepted two too, because of the insanely short deadlines for communicating a decision.

I just emailed the other university and told them i won't be going.
its pretty normal. I accepted two too, because of the insanely short deadlines for communicating a decision.

I just emailed the other university and told them i won't be going.
quote
Stagista11
personally, I'd rather avoid to tell the first school you're heading towards another school. for sure you'll loose the deposit fee; that's beyond doubt. don't know whether or not you'll be blacklisted; don't think so due to time reasons... coming to NU? just curios...
personally, I'd rather avoid to tell the first school you're heading towards another school. for sure you'll loose the deposit fee; that's beyond doubt. don't know whether or not you'll be blacklisted; don't think so due to time reasons... coming to NU? just curios...
quote
Comandante
I was in a similar predicament in Mid-March, i paid several deposits just to await the "final outcome" of my applications, in any case, i did some research about the issue and i can tell you that you need to tell the school were you no longer want to go that you are now rejecting their admissions offer, you will loose your deposit and end of story.

Just so that you know, at sometime during the admissions process (following the admissions decisions) every school that you apply to, starts reporting to LSAC whether you have been offered admission and whether you have accepted (i.e. paid the initail deposit); LSAC then sends periodic reports to every school that you applied to letting them know where else you have been admitted and whether you have accepted such offers too and paid such schools a deposit. You can go online and read the disclosures on the LSAC website about this.

So, avoid getting yourself into unecessary problems, and accept the fact that you have lost your deposit to the first school, in any case, that is the whole purpose of the concept of "deposit".

You don't want any of the school finding your name on that LSAC report and then have the school holding you in breach to your agreement to withdraw or decline all other offers upon acceptance of theirs. It is not worth the b$@#$% that can come out of it.

The sad part for me is that i will probably loose all deposits becasue i have decided not to the attend the program this year and asked for a deferral (which doesn't seem forthcoming) :(
I was in a similar predicament in Mid-March, i paid several deposits just to await the "final outcome" of my applications, in any case, i did some research about the issue and i can tell you that you need to tell the school were you no longer want to go that you are now rejecting their admissions offer, you will loose your deposit and end of story.

Just so that you know, at sometime during the admissions process (following the admissions decisions) every school that you apply to, starts reporting to LSAC whether you have been offered admission and whether you have accepted (i.e. paid the initail deposit); LSAC then sends periodic reports to every school that you applied to letting them know where else you have been admitted and whether you have accepted such offers too and paid such schools a deposit. You can go online and read the disclosures on the LSAC website about this.

So, avoid getting yourself into unecessary problems, and accept the fact that you have lost your deposit to the first school, in any case, that is the whole purpose of the concept of "deposit".

You don't want any of the school finding your name on that LSAC report and then have the school holding you in breach to your agreement to withdraw or decline all other offers upon acceptance of theirs. It is not worth the b$@#$% that can come out of it.

The sad part for me is that i will probably loose all deposits becasue i have decided not to the attend the program this year and asked for a deferral (which doesn't seem forthcoming) :(
quote
Santa
U die

Like your sense of humor ^^
<blockquote>U die</blockquote>
Like your sense of humor ^^
quote
lastlear
lillies,
you just can't, how can you do this to anybody, accept just two, thats not right, think about some more.

on a lighter note, if they find you they'll ask you to pay full and attend both schools and imagine if two happens to be located located on both coasts then you'll have to become a frequent flier member and in a way thats good too, because by the time of your graduation, you'll have sufficient miles accumulated and can have ticket by virtue of those miles and you can fly back home for FREE. It would be fun, isn't it?
lillies,
you just can't, how can you do this to anybody, accept just two, thats not right, think about some more.

on a lighter note, if they find you they'll ask you to pay full and attend both schools and imagine if two happens to be located located on both coasts then you'll have to become a frequent flier member and in a way thats good too, because by the time of your graduation, you'll have sufficient miles accumulated and can have ticket by virtue of those miles and you can fly back home for FREE. It would be fun, isn't it?
quote
lastlear -- you got me wrong, of course I will not attend both. I had to respond to the first school by April 1 and I accpted their offer on the last day. But I received offer from the other school one week later. Now I am planning to accept the second one. Of course I will withdraw the first one..

comandante -- thank you very much for your very helpful post. I didnt know that LSAC reports to the other schools whether I am accepted by any school or not.. That was interesting to know because it means that all schools knows who is accepted by which school.. that's really interesting..

I know that I will lose the deposit fee but I don't care, I knew that I may lose it so I dont worry about it. So everyone agrees that there is no harm to accept the second and withdraw the first one. Good to know that I won't die:)
lastlear -- you got me wrong, of course I will not attend both. I had to respond to the first school by April 1 and I accpted their offer on the last day. But I received offer from the other school one week later. Now I am planning to accept the second one. Of course I will withdraw the first one..

comandante -- thank you very much for your very helpful post. I didnt know that LSAC reports to the other schools whether I am accepted by any school or not.. That was interesting to know because it means that all schools knows who is accepted by which school.. that's really interesting..

I know that I will lose the deposit fee but I don't care, I knew that I may lose it so I dont worry about it. So everyone agrees that there is no harm to accept the second and withdraw the first one. Good to know that I won't die:)



quote
lastlear
Hey, you got me wrong .I just tried to sound funny like others but guess failed miserably and reminded myself don't ever try to do it again.

No harm at all even if you accept four offers at a time but decline three of them on reasonable time so that school can offer those seats to their waitlist candidates. And you lose just your deposit, nothing else, no black,white,red or blue list.

Ofcourse, I am sure you'll not attend two of them and no one can. Anyway so which you already accepted now declining and where you planning to go. If you're not comfortable then don't just mention state initials. Goodluck !
Hey, you got me wrong .I just tried to sound funny like others but guess failed miserably and reminded myself don't ever try to do it again.

No harm at all even if you accept four offers at a time but decline three of them on reasonable time so that school can offer those seats to their waitlist candidates. And you lose just your deposit, nothing else, no black,white,red or blue list.

Ofcourse, I am sure you'll not attend two of them and no one can. Anyway so which you already accepted now declining and where you planning to go. If you're not comfortable then don't just mention state initials. Goodluck !
quote
oh well.. i see.. maybe i dont have enough sense of humour :) the second one is in NYC. Thank you for helping me out!
oh well.. i see.. maybe i dont have enough sense of humour :) the second one is in NYC. Thank you for helping me out!
quote
lastlear
lillies..cool, enjoy NYC and have fun.
lillies..cool, enjoy NYC and have fun.
quote
Lastlear -- I read your previous message again now it sounds funnier to me hehe I know I already spoilt the joke:) thank u I will let u know my final decision
Lastlear -- I read your previous message again now it sounds funnier to me hehe I know I already spoilt the joke:) thank u I will let u know my final decision
quote
Hey,

if the two colleges are in different nations but one of them states that acceptance will be taken as withdrawal from other colleges, can I still accept both and make the decision later about which one I plan to go to?


I was in a similar predicament in Mid-March, i paid several deposits just to await the "final outcome" of my applications, in any case, i did some research about the issue and i can tell you that you need to tell the school were you no longer want to go that you are now rejecting their admissions offer, you will loose your deposit and end of story.

Just so that you know, at sometime during the admissions process (following the admissions decisions) every school that you apply to, starts reporting to LSAC whether you have been offered admission and whether you have accepted (i.e. paid the initail deposit); LSAC then sends periodic reports to every school that you applied to letting them know where else you have been admitted and whether you have accepted such offers too and paid such schools a deposit. You can go online and read the disclosures on the LSAC website about this.

So, avoid getting yourself into unecessary problems, and accept the fact that you have lost your deposit to the first school, in any case, that is the whole purpose of the concept of "deposit".

You don't want any of the school finding your name on that LSAC report and then have the school holding you in breach to your agreement to withdraw or decline all other offers upon acceptance of theirs. It is not worth the b$@#$% that can come out of it.

The sad part for me is that i will probably loose all deposits becasue i have decided not to the attend the program this year and asked for a deferral (which doesn't seem forthcoming) :(
Hey,

if the two colleges are in different nations but one of them states that acceptance will be taken as withdrawal from other colleges, can I still accept both and make the decision later about which one I plan to go to?



<blockquote>I was in a similar predicament in Mid-March, i paid several deposits just to await the "final outcome" of my applications, in any case, i did some research about the issue and i can tell you that you need to tell the school were you no longer want to go that you are now rejecting their admissions offer, you will loose your deposit and end of story.

Just so that you know, at sometime during the admissions process (following the admissions decisions) every school that you apply to, starts reporting to LSAC whether you have been offered admission and whether you have accepted (i.e. paid the initail deposit); LSAC then sends periodic reports to every school that you applied to letting them know where else you have been admitted and whether you have accepted such offers too and paid such schools a deposit. You can go online and read the disclosures on the LSAC website about this.

So, avoid getting yourself into unecessary problems, and accept the fact that you have lost your deposit to the first school, in any case, that is the whole purpose of the concept of "deposit".

You don't want any of the school finding your name on that LSAC report and then have the school holding you in breach to your agreement to withdraw or decline all other offers upon acceptance of theirs. It is not worth the b$@#$% that can come out of it.

The sad part for me is that i will probably loose all deposits becasue i have decided not to the attend the program this year and asked for a deferral (which doesn't seem forthcoming) :(</blockquote>
quote

Reply to Post

Hot Discussions