NYU deferral


bgerfer93
Hey everyone,

My offer from NYU just came through yesterday, and kinda caught me off guard. I'd been waitlised earlier in April, and never really counted on that option because it felt to hazardous to me. I've also accepted an offer from somewhere else in the meantime.

Since I have already committed to another law school in the UK (which is the country of my primary legal education), taken on work experience until the end of August and organised my summer accordingly, I feel like the best thing for me would be to try and differ NYU's offer.

Does anyone know whether this is possible? Has anyone else done it before, or heard from someone who did it? I know someone who knows someone who asked for a deferral a year ago, and apparently NYU formally refused, but told the applicant that they would be a very high chance for her to be accepted if she applied next year 'wink wink', which she did, and got another offer.

I should add that the programme I signed up for in the UK is a transdisciplinary 'MSc', rather than an LLM, so it would actually make sens to do both since they cover different things. I should also add that I committed to this MSc knowing that I would later re apply for an LLM in the US later.

What are your thoughts? Since the deadline to accept or decline is at the end of the week, I would be immensely thankful if you folks could give me an answer quickly.

Thanks a lot to everyone!

[Edited by bgerfer93 on Jun 13, 2017]

Hey everyone,

My offer from NYU just came through yesterday, and kinda caught me off guard. I'd been waitlised earlier in April, and never really counted on that option because it felt to hazardous to me. I've also accepted an offer from somewhere else in the meantime.

Since I have already committed to another law school in the UK (which is the country of my primary legal education), taken on work experience until the end of August and organised my summer accordingly, I feel like the best thing for me would be to try and differ NYU's offer.

Does anyone know whether this is possible? Has anyone else done it before, or heard from someone who did it? I know someone who knows someone who asked for a deferral a year ago, and apparently NYU formally refused, but told the applicant that they would be a very high chance for her to be accepted if she applied next year 'wink wink', which she did, and got another offer.

I should add that the programme I signed up for in the UK is a transdisciplinary 'MSc', rather than an LLM, so it would actually make sens to do both since they cover different things. I should also add that I committed to this MSc knowing that I would later re apply for an LLM in the US later.

What are your thoughts? Since the deadline to accept or decline is at the end of the week, I would be immensely thankful if you folks could give me an answer quickly.

Thanks a lot to everyone!
quote
Cocopuff
I think students who get accepted off the waitlist aren't allowed to defer their admission. It's mentioned in the response form they make us fill to know if we'd like to be put on the waitlist or not.
I think students who get accepted off the waitlist aren't allowed to defer their admission. It's mentioned in the response form they make us fill to know if we'd like to be put on the waitlist or not.
quote
bgerfer93
Hey Cocopuff, thanks for getting back to me. So I just double checked and you're right - I guess this settles the problem then.
Hey Cocopuff, thanks for getting back to me. So I just double checked and you're right - I guess this settles the problem then.
quote

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

New York City, New York 1811 Followers 1514 Discussions