Harvard Admission Decisions


zzz
Does anybody know If a university (NYU for example) can do something if a person signs the form in which he compromises to withdraw all other applications, but at the end he goes to another law school?
Does anybody know If a university (NYU for example) can do something if a person signs the form in which he compromises to withdraw all other applications, but at the end he goes to another law school?
quote
pratibha
Any Indian who might have heard from HLS to please write.. I am waiting for the decisions as well....
Any Indian who might have heard from HLS to please write.. I am waiting for the decisions as well....
quote
Greg_08
Does anybody know If a university (NYU for example) can do something if a person signs the form in which he compromises to withdraw all other applications, but at the end he goes to another law school?


Seems very unethical and unfair to other applicants. Besides its a very risky thing to do, i wouldnt.....
<blockquote>Does anybody know If a university (NYU for example) can do something if a person signs the form in which he compromises to withdraw all other applications, but at the end he goes to another law school?
</blockquote>

Seems very unethical and unfair to other applicants. Besides its a very risky thing to do, i wouldnt.....
quote
Oak
Does anybody know If a university (NYU for example) can do something if a person signs the form in which he compromises to withdraw all other applications, but at the end he goes to another law school?


Seems very unethical and unfair to other applicants. Besides its a very risky thing to do, i wouldnt.....

Yes, I think it could be very risky. If NYU happens to know that, the result could be very ...
<blockquote><blockquote>Does anybody know If a university (NYU for example) can do something if a person signs the form in which he compromises to withdraw all other applications, but at the end he goes to another law school?
</blockquote>

Seems very unethical and unfair to other applicants. Besides its a very risky thing to do, i wouldnt..... </blockquote>
Yes, I think it could be very risky. If NYU happens to know that, the result could be very ...
quote
Samata
From a practical point, I don't think they are going to do anything to you since it wouldn't be worth the time and effort. The most they would probably do is putting a ban on you for further application to the law school.

Truth is admission at HLS is a real pain. I knew a lot of people facing the same situation and having to forsake their deposits at other schools. They said it was worth it though. Also knew a girl who got her deposit waived from CLS on the ground that her scholarship didn't come in yet... So you may that one if you receive a full scholarship from somewhere.

As for turning down the law school to which you have already paid the deposit, I'm sure they are fully aware of such risk and that's why they make you pay the "deposit" in the first place. Would have harder time with schools like Chicago where the deposit system is not used though.

As for me I'm gonna pay the $500 and wait (patiently)..sometimes the admission letters come in late April till June!!
From a practical point, I don't think they are going to do anything to you since it wouldn't be worth the time and effort. The most they would probably do is putting a ban on you for further application to the law school.

Truth is admission at HLS is a real pain. I knew a lot of people facing the same situation and having to forsake their deposits at other schools. They said it was worth it though. Also knew a girl who got her deposit waived from CLS on the ground that her scholarship didn't come in yet... So you may that one if you receive a full scholarship from somewhere.

As for turning down the law school to which you have already paid the deposit, I'm sure they are fully aware of such risk and that's why they make you pay the "deposit" in the first place. Would have harder time with schools like Chicago where the deposit system is not used though.

As for me I'm gonna pay the $500 and wait (patiently)..sometimes the admission letters come in late April till June!!
quote
Greg_08
Still, this kind of approach seems very unethical and i would have some moral issues taking this kind of course, but i can understand people who do chose to act like that. I wouldn't want to take some poor applicant's spot like that... but again i don't judge people who do.

Good Luck
Still, this kind of approach seems very unethical and i would have some moral issues taking this kind of course, but i can understand people who do chose to act like that. I wouldn't want to take some poor applicant's spot like that... but again i don't judge people who do.

Good Luck
quote
kh
It is very likely that your admission will be cancelled and you may end up in a spot where having got admission into both NYU and HLS, you end up going to both.
Remember that all this schools have extremely good relations with each other, and ethics are strongly valued, so if NYU contacts HLS and informs them, it is very possible that HLS willr refuse admit the person - one who lies for them can lie to them.
It is very likely that your admission will be cancelled and you may end up in a spot where having got admission into both NYU and HLS, you end up going to both.
Remember that all this schools have extremely good relations with each other, and ethics are strongly valued, so if NYU contacts HLS and informs them, it is very possible that HLS willr refuse admit the person - one who lies for them can lie to them.
quote
SophieB
I just read that U of C Law school will inform other law schools if you do so....
I just read that U of C Law school will inform other law schools if you do so....
quote
amicus
I don't think much can be done to the person paying $500 deposit to schools like Columbia who later withdraws their admission to accept another school. He or she would lose the $500 and that would be his penalty for retracting his acceptance.

It's a very different story for those who were granted scholarship (ie. Hauser, Grotius, etc. from NYU) and were offered to accept the scholarship condition upon withdrawing all other pending application or retracting all other offers from other schools. I have heard from past applicants that NYU notifies other unis the names of the scholarship grantees. This person called Harvard and informed them that they had received a large scholarship from another uni and Harvard was aware of that already. My guess is that, upon request, Harvard will inform NYU whether or not the student with a scholarship has effectively withdrawn his or her application.

My point is, there is a reason why NYU wants all their scholarship grantees to sign a form. You may risk losing the a prestigious scholarship and not get into Harvard. That would be a huge risk to take.
I don't think much can be done to the person paying $500 deposit to schools like Columbia who later withdraws their admission to accept another school. He or she would lose the $500 and that would be his penalty for retracting his acceptance.

It's a very different story for those who were granted scholarship (ie. Hauser, Grotius, etc. from NYU) and were offered to accept the scholarship condition upon withdrawing all other pending application or retracting all other offers from other schools. I have heard from past applicants that NYU notifies other unis the names of the scholarship grantees. This person called Harvard and informed them that they had received a large scholarship from another uni and Harvard was aware of that already. My guess is that, upon request, Harvard will inform NYU whether or not the student with a scholarship has effectively withdrawn his or her application.

My point is, there is a reason why NYU wants all their scholarship grantees to sign a form. You may risk losing the a prestigious scholarship and not get into Harvard. That would be a huge risk to take.
quote
mnementh
I guess nobody really withdraws... he waits and then will tell other unviersities that he rejects them, right ? Is there a difference ? I didn't get the scholarship, but the Award (partial), and I'm in the same dilemma. I mean, for crying out loud, what happens if YLS accepts me with full scholarship ? I can't explain thato NYU that money is also important here and that I made a mistake ?
I guess nobody really withdraws... he waits and then will tell other unviersities that he rejects them, right ? Is there a difference ? I didn't get the scholarship, but the Award (partial), and I'm in the same dilemma. I mean, for crying out loud, what happens if YLS accepts me with full scholarship ? I can't explain thato NYU that money is also important here and that I made a mistake ?
quote
Samata
Agree with amicus. For CLS the $500 is for securing a place and there is no language requiring one to withdraw applications from other schools.

As for NYU, the risk is there since it is explicit in your Intention to Enroll Form. However, I am not sure whether the schools really communicate. I knew an applicant from previous year who was admitted to NYU on a grant and subsequently was admitted to HLS. In general, HLS would not allow deferral if the admitted applicant chooses to attend other US law schools. This person attended NYU and asked for deferral from HLS and got it for family emergency reason.

My point is a lot of people do it and it doesn't seem a very wise choice for me to just wait for schools like HLS or YLS to accept your application without securing a place somewhere if you are serious about persuing you LLM this year. If you plan to do that why bother applying to many schools then.
Agree with amicus. For CLS the $500 is for securing a place and there is no language requiring one to withdraw applications from other schools.

As for NYU, the risk is there since it is explicit in your Intention to Enroll Form. However, I am not sure whether the schools really communicate. I knew an applicant from previous year who was admitted to NYU on a grant and subsequently was admitted to HLS. In general, HLS would not allow deferral if the admitted applicant chooses to attend other US law schools. This person attended NYU and asked for deferral from HLS and got it for family emergency reason.

My point is a lot of people do it and it doesn't seem a very wise choice for me to just wait for schools like HLS or YLS to accept your application without securing a place somewhere if you are serious about persuing you LLM this year. If you plan to do that why bother applying to many schools then.
quote
Greg_08
Agree with amicus. For CLS the $500 is for securing a place and there is no language requiring one to withdraw applications from other schools.

As for NYU, the risk is there since it is explicit in your Intention to Enroll Form. However, I am not sure whether the schools really communicate. I knew an applicant from previous year who was admitted to NYU on a grant and subsequently was admitted to HLS. In general, HLS would not allow deferral if the admitted applicant chooses to attend other US law schools. This person attended NYU and asked for deferral from HLS and got it for family emergency reason.

My point is a lot of people do it and it doesn't seem a very wise choice for me to just wait for schools like HLS or YLS to accept your application without securing a place somewhere if you are serious about persuing you LLM this year. If you plan to do that why bother applying to many schools then.


Agreed.
Anyways, if you do get the $$$ at NYU, there is leatle sence in giving that up for the possibility of other schools. Honeslty, i would take the $$$ and go to NYU because otherwise it seems just unwise...
<blockquote>Agree with amicus. For CLS the $500 is for securing a place and there is no language requiring one to withdraw applications from other schools.

As for NYU, the risk is there since it is explicit in your Intention to Enroll Form. However, I am not sure whether the schools really communicate. I knew an applicant from previous year who was admitted to NYU on a grant and subsequently was admitted to HLS. In general, HLS would not allow deferral if the admitted applicant chooses to attend other US law schools. This person attended NYU and asked for deferral from HLS and got it for family emergency reason.

My point is a lot of people do it and it doesn't seem a very wise choice for me to just wait for schools like HLS or YLS to accept your application without securing a place somewhere if you are serious about persuing you LLM this year. If you plan to do that why bother applying to many schools then. </blockquote>

Agreed.
Anyways, if you do get the $$$ at NYU, there is leatle sence in giving that up for the possibility of other schools. Honeslty, i would take the $$$ and go to NYU because otherwise it seems just unwise...
quote
mnementh
I agree if it's full waiver but sometimes it's just partial , and other places will offer it too.
I agree if it's full waiver but sometimes it's just partial , and other places will offer it too.
quote
regards
regards
quote
Greg_08
:
:
quote
Lucky
The withdrawal of other applications upon payment of the 500 USD does not apply to CLS. Therefore I'm going to pay before March 10 and will see if I receive other better offers.
The withdrawal of other applications upon payment of the 500 USD does not apply to CLS. Therefore I'm going to pay before March 10 and will see if I receive other better offers.
quote
Samata
I once asked a professor who is a Harvard alumni and is very successful in this career in telecom regulation of what would be a better choice between (i) HLS admission and (ii) NYU admission with full tuition waiver. His answer was "definitly Harvard". His reason was that the advantange (monetary or otherwise) that you would get during your life-long carreer for being HLS alumni is far greater than 40K. Interesting remark.
I once asked a professor who is a Harvard alumni and is very successful in this career in telecom regulation of what would be a better choice between (i) HLS admission and (ii) NYU admission with full tuition waiver. His answer was "definitly Harvard". His reason was that the advantange (monetary or otherwise) that you would get during your life-long carreer for being HLS alumni is far greater than 40K. Interesting remark.
quote
PNDCBW
I am trying to find out if HLS will respond by email, post mail or both.
I am trying to find out if HLS will respond by email, post mail or both.
quote
L&E-pil
I am trying to find out if HLS will respond by email, post mail or both.


Judging from previous years threads on the topic I think that HLS sends admissions by e-mail (and after a while you receive the admissions package by post) and rejections by post only.
<blockquote>I am trying to find out if HLS will respond by email, post mail or both.</blockquote>

Judging from previous years threads on the topic I think that HLS sends admissions by e-mail (and after a while you receive the admissions package by post) and rejections by post only.
quote
BDA
I haven't heard anything from Harvard yet. Any chances of a "second wave" of admissions coming soon? when? Just waiting for Harvard and Berkeley so I can make a decision...
I haven't heard anything from Harvard yet. Any chances of a "second wave" of admissions coming soon? when? Just waiting for Harvard and Berkeley so I can make a decision...
quote

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Cambridge, Massachusetts 1010 Followers 852 Discussions