Distance learning - US Bar Eligibility

Trini30
Greetings,

I have a law degree from the University of London obtained via distance education. I have reviewed the current requirements on the NY bar site but am still a bit confused.

1. Can a US LLM obtained by classroom instruction cure the distance learning deficiency in order to qualify to write the NY bar exam?

2. Would pursuing the California bar exam through completing a US LLM be a more viable option?

Thanks for any insights you may be able to provide.

[Edited by Trini30 on Nov 02, 2019]

Greetings,

I have a law degree from the University of London obtained via distance education. I have reviewed the current requirements on the NY bar site but am still a bit confused.

1. Can a US LLM obtained by classroom instruction cure the distance learning deficiency in order to qualify to write the NY bar exam?

2. Would pursuing the California bar exam through completing a US LLM be a more viable option?

Thanks for any insights you may be able to provide.
#
1. Can a US LLM obtained by classroom instruction cure the distance learning deficiency in order to quality to write the NY bar exam?

Hello — I think so because the durational cure provision of §520.6(b)(1)(ii)(a) require “two years of foreign legal education that meets the substantive requirements” and an US LLM degree, but does not specify that those 2 years should be “earned by attendance in regularly scheduled classroom courses at the law school” like in §520.3(c)(1)(ii).

However, you should contact the board of law examiners (a.k.a. BOLE) in order to get a confirmation: https://www.nybarexam.org/Contact/Contact.htm

§520.6(b)(1): https://www.nybarexam.org/Rules/Rules.htm#520.6

(ii) Cure provision. An applicant who does not meet the requirements of subparagraph (i)(a) or (i)(b) may cure either the durational or substantive deficiency, but not both, under the following circumstances:

(a) Durational deficiency. If the applicant does not meet the durational requirements of subparagraph (i)(a), the applicant may cure the deficiency by providing satisfactory proof that the applicant has at least two years of foreign legal education that meets the substantive requirements of subparagraph (i)(b) and that the applicant has graduated from an LL.M. degree program at an American Bar Association approved law school in the United States meeting the requirements of subdivision (b)(3) of this section.

[Edited by # on Nov 01, 2019]

[quote]1. Can a US LLM obtained by classroom instruction cure the distance learning deficiency in order to quality to write the NY bar exam?[/quote]
Hello — I think so because the durational cure provision of [b]§520.6(b)(1)(ii)(a)[/b] require [i]“two years of foreign legal education that meets the substantive requirements”[/i] and an US LLM degree, but does not specify that those 2 years should be [i]“earned by attendance in regularly scheduled classroom courses at the law school”[/i] like in [b]§520.3(c)(1)(ii)[/b].

However, you should contact the board of law examiners (a.k.a. BOLE) in order to get a confirmation: https://www.nybarexam.org/Contact/Contact.htm

[quote][b]§520.6(b)(1)[/b]: https://www.nybarexam.org/Rules/Rules.htm#520.6

(ii) Cure provision. An applicant who does not meet the requirements of subparagraph (i)(a) or (i)(b) may cure either the durational or substantive deficiency, but not both, under the following circumstances:

(a) Durational deficiency. If the applicant does not meet the durational requirements of subparagraph (i)(a), [u]the applicant may cure the deficiency by providing satisfactory proof that the applicant has at least two years of foreign legal education that meets the substantive requirements of subparagraph (i)(b)[/u] and that the applicant has graduated from an LL.M. degree program at an American Bar Association approved law school in the United States meeting the requirements of subdivision (b)(3) of this section.[/quote]
Trini30
Thank you so very much for taking the time to provide this detailed clarification. The matter is now a lot clearer to me.

I will also seek to obtain confirmation from BOLE.
Thank you so very much for taking the time to provide this detailed clarification. The matter is now a lot clearer to me.

I will also seek to obtain confirmation from BOLE.

Reply to Post

Related Articles

Online and Hybrid LL.M. Programs: The Best of Both Worlds

Jan 04, 2019

A number of law schools across the globe are creating courses that mix online and on-campus learning as students demand greater flexibility

More Articles

Related Top 10 Lists

More Top 10 Lists

Hot Discussions