Chances at LLM - Berkeley, Cornell, etc

Xppx3

Hello!

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but I thought it was worth a shot. Basically I'm looking at an LLM at a T14 in the USA. I'm British and have:

LLB from a top-15 law school (UEA) at 2.1 (64.76%) which is a 3.5 GPA according to my transcript and scholar.com, 3.3 according to Fullbright and 3.3-3.6 variously on other British University comparitors.

Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) from NTU at Outstanding (80%) which is 3.8 GPA but is soon to be 'topped up' to an LLM. I haven't received the grades for the top up yet, but even if I were to scrape a pass it would be a 3.5 according to scholaro.com, and still be a Distinction (70%) overall.

Various mooting semi-finals, pro bono work and professional experience including writing for one of the biggest online criminal law practitioner texts.

I mentioned Berkeley and Cornell simply because my girlfriend happens to be from California (Berkeley) and is a food science student who informs me Cornell has a good food science school. I am absolutely open to other schools. I tend towards a T14 because I don't know whether the plan is to return to the UK or to stay in the USA and pursue a career in CA (I can take the Bar there after the LLM) or go for a full JD (either transferring from the LLM or additional to it).

Hopefully that covers everything but of course feel free to ask anything. Hopefully someone can help! I dont want to chase something unrealistic

[Edited by Xppx3 on Apr 02, 2019]

Hello!

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but I thought it was worth a shot. Basically I'm looking at an LLM at a T14 in the USA. I'm British and have:

LLB from a top-15 law school (UEA) at 2.1 (64.76%) which is a 3.5 GPA according to my transcript and scholar.com, 3.3 according to Fullbright and 3.3-3.6 variously on other British University comparitors.

Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) from NTU at Outstanding (80%) which is 3.8 GPA but is soon to be 'topped up' to an LLM. I haven't received the grades for the top up yet, but even if I were to scrape a pass it would be a 3.5 according to scholaro.com, and still be a Distinction (70%) overall.

Various mooting semi-finals, pro bono work and professional experience including writing for one of the biggest online criminal law practitioner texts.

I mentioned Berkeley and Cornell simply because my girlfriend happens to be from California (Berkeley) and is a food science student who informs me Cornell has a good food science school. I am absolutely open to other schools. I tend towards a T14 because I don't know whether the plan is to return to the UK or to stay in the USA and pursue a career in CA (I can take the Bar there after the LLM) or go for a full JD (either transferring from the LLM or additional to it).

Hopefully that covers everything but of course feel free to ask anything. Hopefully someone can help! I dont want to chase something unrealistic
Brerwall

Hi! I'm sorry, I don't have any feedback for you. However, my profile / interests are similar to yours, and since I am laying out my plan to apply for LLMs to start next year, I thought I would see if you got any admits and if so, where you plan to attend.

Thanks!

Hi! I'm sorry, I don't have any feedback for you. However, my profile / interests are similar to yours, and since I am laying out my plan to apply for LLMs to start next year, I thought I would see if you got any admits and if so, where you plan to attend.

Thanks!
Pizza24674

Last year, I had a similar profile, i.e. top 10% of the class from one of the top law school in Thailand, various international moot competitions, some pro bono work and a year of work experience at the top law firm, and got admitted to Cornell, Berkeley, Penn Law and Duke Law. So, I would say that you have a good chance.

[Edited by Pizza24674 on Jul 18, 2019]

Last year, I had a similar profile, i.e. top 10% of the class from one of the top law school in Thailand, various international moot competitions, some pro bono work and a year of work experience at the top law firm, and got admitted to Cornell, Berkeley, Penn Law and Duke Law. So, I would say that you have a good chance.
chicken so...

I would say you have decent chances. I would suggest choosing the schools you apply to based on your interests and career goals. Berkeley for example would be great for IP law or Energy Law; Cornell for tech law and so-forth.

I would say you have decent chances. I would suggest choosing the schools you apply to based on your interests and career goals. Berkeley for example would be great for IP law or Energy Law; Cornell for tech law and so-forth.

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Berkeley, California 1177 Followers 568 Discussions
Ithaca, New York 493 Followers 313 Discussions

Other Related Content

18 US Law Schools to Hold Virtual LL.M. Application Events

News Nov 16, 2020

Hot Discussions