Leiden LLM European and International Human Rights 2019-20

RadNair
Hi everyone,

I am from India and have received an offer from Leiden for their LLM in European and International Human Rights Program 2019-20. I wanted to know (from someone who has already completed this course or someone who is planning to do it) about the course, the university, student life in Leiden and the job prospects after the course?

I have received offers from QMUL, Essex, Groningen, QUB and Kent's BSIS for their respective LLMs in human Rights as well so I am quite torn as to which would be the best choice for someone who wants to find work in an international human rights organisation immediately after the course is complete. I have also applied to the Geneva Academy's IHRHL program (without scholarship), Uni of Nottingham and LSE (applied in March 1st week) but I haven't heard from them yet. If I am honest, I will tell you that I am leaning a bit towards Leiden and Essex, but I can't be sure unless I do more research.

Anyone who knows something that might help in making my decision easier may kindly put their two cents in. I wish everyone the best with their applications.

Looking forward to a lively discussion.

Thank you.
Hi everyone,

I am from India and have received an offer from Leiden for their LLM in European and International Human Rights Program 2019-20. I wanted to know (from someone who has already completed this course or someone who is planning to do it) about the course, the university, student life in Leiden and the job prospects after the course?

I have received offers from QMUL, Essex, Groningen, QUB and Kent's BSIS for their respective LLMs in human Rights as well so I am quite torn as to which would be the best choice for someone who wants to find work in an international human rights organisation immediately after the course is complete. I have also applied to the Geneva Academy's IHRHL program (without scholarship), Uni of Nottingham and LSE (applied in March 1st week) but I haven't heard from them yet. If I am honest, I will tell you that I am leaning a bit towards Leiden and Essex, but I can't be sure unless I do more research.

Anyone who knows something that might help in making my decision easier may kindly put their two cents in. I wish everyone the best with their applications.

Looking forward to a lively discussion.

Thank you.
Hi RadNair, I haven't actually completed the Advanced LLM, I'm accepted to start in September 2019 as well. I have however been studying in Leiden for the past six years and am finishing up a Dutch LLM right now, so can tell you something about the student life.

I do know Advanced LLMs are very demanding and the amount of time in class are quite high compared to the usual amount of lectures in Law studies in The NL, but seeing the amount of hours you're in class, you get to spend a lot of time with your classmates. I work closely with students from the Advanced LLM in Children's Rights and they're together a lot of the time, either studying in our wonderful library, restaurant or cafe or just hanging out around our faculty. There's a lot of guest lectures or excursions.

As for student life otherwise, we Dutchies always say Leiden is a 'student city' and for instance Amsterdam or so is an 'international/tourist city'. Everywhere you go in Leiden you see students, of which a lot are actually internationals. Leiden is a small city, but very characteristic and it has a lot of student associations, of which some also accept international students like ISN! It's not necessarily a city where you can go to clubs, but that's why we have night trains connecting all the big cities and which only takes a maximum of 1.5 hours, but every day there's cafés opened and its a very lively city! I could go on for a long time, let me know what else you would like to know!
Hi RadNair, I haven't actually completed the Advanced LLM, I'm accepted to start in September 2019 as well. I have however been studying in Leiden for the past six years and am finishing up a Dutch LLM right now, so can tell you something about the student life.

I do know Advanced LLMs are very demanding and the amount of time in class are quite high compared to the usual amount of lectures in Law studies in The NL, but seeing the amount of hours you're in class, you get to spend a lot of time with your classmates. I work closely with students from the Advanced LLM in Children's Rights and they're together a lot of the time, either studying in our wonderful library, restaurant or cafe or just hanging out around our faculty. There's a lot of guest lectures or excursions.

As for student life otherwise, we Dutchies always say Leiden is a 'student city' and for instance Amsterdam or so is an 'international/tourist city'. Everywhere you go in Leiden you see students, of which a lot are actually internationals. Leiden is a small city, but very characteristic and it has a lot of student associations, of which some also accept international students like ISN! It's not necessarily a city where you can go to clubs, but that's why we have night trains connecting all the big cities and which only takes a maximum of 1.5 hours, but every day there's cafés opened and its a very lively city! I could go on for a long time, let me know what else you would like to know!

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Leiden, Netherlands 494 Followers 449 Discussions

Related Top 10 Lists

More Top 10 Lists

Hot Discussions