LLM Discussions

Geneva Academy LLM 2017-18 Applicants

idn4ihl
Hi there!

Is anyone else applying for an LLM at the Geneva Academy - in particular the one in IHL and Human Rights for the 2017-18 intake? :)

Cheers
Hi there!

Is anyone else applying for an LLM at the Geneva Academy - in particular the one in IHL and Human Rights for the 2017-18 intake? :)

Cheers
PS-M
I did! Which track have you chosen?
idn4ihl

Excellent! I submitted my application on the 23rd of January via the non-scholarship track, how about you? Have you applied for any other LLM programmes? :) Is the Geneva Academy your first choice?

Hopefully we'll be classmates next year, the wait is killing me :)
[quote]I did! Which track have you chosen?[/quote]

Excellent! I submitted my application on the 23rd of January via the non-scholarship track, how about you? Have you applied for any other LLM programmes? :) Is the Geneva Academy your first choice?

PS-M

I've submitted via scholarship track and I hope they will announce soonest ><

Yes, Geneva is my first and I hope to see you in there!
[quote][quote]I did! Which track have you chosen?[/quote]

Hopefully we'll be classmates next year, the wait is killing me :)[/quote]

I've submitted via scholarship track and I hope they will announce soonest ><

Yes, Geneva is my first and I hope to see you in there!
NapZ
Hey,

I attended the Academy in 2015-2016. Let me know if you have any questions!
Hey,

idn4ihl
Hey,

Hi NapZ!

This is amazing. Thank you for your willingness to help us :) I actually have some questions, if you don't mind of course!

- I know that there is never a "typical" profile for students in a programme, but I was wondering whether students in this LL.M programme usually have "similarities", i.e. whether they typically have professional experience, whether they already hold a Master's degree, etc. I'm about to complete my LL.B degree by this upcoming summer hopefully, and I was wondering whether the lack of professional experience would affect me in any way. I only have a couple of summer internships (though relevant to issues related to IHL and Human Rights), but no concrete, years of professional experience.

- When did you hear back from them regarding your application? Did you apply through the scholarship, or without scholarship track?

- What were the main challenges while attending the Academy, and what did you particularly love about the Academy?

I guess I'm already asking too much, it's just that the Geneva Academy is my top choice and I'd love to hear some feedback from a former student :)

Thank you very much for your time!
[quote]Hey,

I attended the Academy in 2015-2016. Let me know if you have any questions![/quote]

Hi NapZ!

This is amazing. Thank you for your willingness to help us :) I actually have some questions, if you don't mind of course!

- I know that there is never a "typical" profile for students in a programme, but I was wondering whether students in this LL.M programme usually have "similarities", i.e. whether they typically have professional experience, whether they already hold a Master's degree, etc. I'm about to complete my LL.B degree by this upcoming summer hopefully, and I was wondering whether the lack of professional experience would affect me in any way. I only have a couple of summer internships (though relevant to issues related to IHL and Human Rights), but no concrete, years of professional experience.

- When did you hear back from them regarding your application? Did you apply through the scholarship, or without scholarship track?

- What were the main challenges while attending the Academy, and what did you particularly love about the Academy?

I guess I'm already asking too much, it's just that the Geneva Academy is my top choice and I'd love to hear some feedback from a former student :)

Thank you very much for your time!
NapZ
Hi idn4ihl,

No worries at all! Ask as many questions as you like!

- It should not be an issue at all. Myself only had ONE internship of one month before attending the Academy. So lack of professional experience should not be a problem at all given the other elements of your application, notably academics, are good.

- I heard back from them around March 23rd, if I remember correctly. I had applied around February 14th (so had to wait a bit more than a month). Without scholarship.

- Okay so I do not want to brag about it; regarding challenges TO ME PERSONALLY there were not many, since I already had a background in international law. Most of the time I already at the very least have some general background in the subject studied, so I had no particular difficulties in this regard. The actual difficulty was living in Geneva, which I find very boring and very expensive. It is obviously better if you have friends, but the city itself is still not a lot of fun in my opinion. What I really liked about the Academy were the courses, the faculty (most of them), and the possibility to do an internship at the United Nations. It is an excellent programme.

Don't hesitate to ask me anything else really!
Hi idn4ihl,

No worries at all! Ask as many questions as you like!

- It should not be an issue at all. Myself only had ONE internship of one month before attending the Academy. So lack of professional experience should not be a problem at all given the other elements of your application, notably academics, are good.

- I heard back from them around March 23rd, if I remember correctly. I had applied around February 14th (so had to wait a bit more than a month). Without scholarship.

- Okay so I do not want to brag about it; regarding challenges TO ME PERSONALLY there were not many, since I already had a background in international law. Most of the time I already at the very least have some general background in the subject studied, so I had no particular difficulties in this regard. The actual difficulty was living in Geneva, which I find very boring and very expensive. It is obviously better if you have friends, but the city itself is still not a lot of fun in my opinion. What I really liked about the Academy were the courses, the faculty (most of them), and the possibility to do an internship at the United Nations. It is an excellent programme.

Don't hesitate to ask me anything else really!

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Geneva, Switzerland 109 Followers 82 Discussions