Career prospects for doing LLM in Chinese Law/Chinese Business Law?

UserXYZ
So for the last couple of years since I graduated I've been working in Shanghai in a non-law related field with my non-law related undergraduate degree but am now thinking of doing an LLM in Chinese Law. Does anyone know what kind of career path that could lead to? Is it a waste of time without an LLB?
So for the last couple of years since I graduated I've been working in Shanghai in a non-law related field with my non-law related undergraduate degree but am now thinking of doing an LLM in Chinese Law. Does anyone know what kind of career path that could lead to? Is it a waste of time without an LLB?
Brainy Smu...
Yes. In the PRC market without a foundation (JD/LLB), I assure you will not be given a chance. You will be another chomp feeding the proverbial cashcow.

Kind regards.
Yes. In the PRC market without a foundation (JD/LLB), I assure you will not be given a chance. You will be another chomp feeding the proverbial cashcow.

Kind regards.
UserXYZ
Thanks, I came to this realization on my own with further reading. The only way I could really work for a law firm here might be working in an international firm with offices in China and that's harder said than done. That would involve doing a GDL then just applying for a training contract along with the 50 million bajillion others that are doing so.
The Hong Kong route isn't so good, the GDL there is split over two years followed by a year of conversion courses before you can start your PCLL under a training contract. Blagh! It's not easy to get into this law stuff.
Thanks, I came to this realization on my own with further reading. The only way I could really work for a law firm here might be working in an international firm with offices in China and that's harder said than done. That would involve doing a GDL then just applying for a training contract along with the 50 million bajillion others that are doing so.
The Hong Kong route isn't so good, the GDL there is split over two years followed by a year of conversion courses before you can start your PCLL under a training contract. Blagh! It's not easy to get into this law stuff.
Hello,
Which university is best for LLM in Chinese Tax Law?
I have graduated in Law from a UK university and would like to continue with LLM in Chinese Tax Law.
I am from Bulgaria not from UK.
Thanks a lot!
Hello,
Which university is best for LLM in Chinese Tax Law?
I have graduated in Law from a UK university and would like to continue with LLM in Chinese Tax Law.
I am from Bulgaria not from UK.
Thanks a lot!

Reply to Post

Related Articles

An In-depth Look at LL.M.s in China

A look at the LL.M. landscape in China, and some employment opportunities for graduates.

LL.M.s in China: Studying Law in a Whirlwind Economy

Western students can use an LL.M. to learn more about China’s evolving legal system. But for lawyers who want to work in the country, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Heading East: LL.M. Programs in Chinese Business Law

Some law schools are beginning to offer specialized LL.M. programs to help lawyers navigate Chinas emerging role in the global economy

A Gateway to the East? Asia-Focused LL.M. Programs

Can an LL.M. in Asia open doors for local and foreign lawyers in hubs like Singapore, Hong Kong, and Shanghai?

More Articles