Has anyone requested for an extension to Columbia's deadline?


Patricia_w

Hi everyone,

I've got and offer from Columbia with partial tuition waiver. My deadline is this March 17th. The only university that I'm waiting for is Harvard but they rejected my expedite request and told me to request for an extension at Columbia. Do you think it is possible to get an extension from Columbia? Has anyone tried? I would appreciate your comment. THANK YOU! and good luck to you all.

Cheers,
P.

Hi everyone,

I've got and offer from Columbia with partial tuition waiver. My deadline is this March 17th. The only university that I'm waiting for is Harvard but they rejected my expedite request and told me to request for an extension at Columbia. Do you think it is possible to get an extension from Columbia? Has anyone tried? I would appreciate your comment. THANK YOU! and good luck to you all.

Cheers,
P.
quote
VERT

I have a deadline from Georgetown but mine is later (1 April). Therefore, I won't ask for an extension...
If you don't hear back from HLS you could try to ask CLS for an extension, but I doubt they will agree on that.

I have a deadline from Georgetown but mine is later (1 April). Therefore, I won't ask for an extension...
If you don't hear back from HLS you could try to ask CLS for an extension, but I doubt they will agree on that.
quote
L&E

@ Patricia...

When dd you apply for the expedite @ Harvard..? Was it in the last week (or in the recent past)..?

Thanks.. Am facing a similar dilemma but without the aid thankfully...

@ Patricia...

When dd you apply for the expedite @ Harvard..? Was it in the last week (or in the recent past)..?

Thanks.. Am facing a similar dilemma but without the aid thankfully...
quote
L&E

quote
Patricia_w

Thanks everyone. I think it is unlikely that Columbia will give an extension as well. So I don't think I'll wait for Harvard.

L&E, gpquery sent a denial email to me yesterday and told me to grab those scholarships from NYU (half-tuition dean award) and Columbia if I can't get an extension from them. It seems like a denial to me! :) But it's okay. I would love to go to New York anyway!

I hope you all will make a right decision, the best one for you! Good luck everyone.

Thanks everyone. I think it is unlikely that Columbia will give an extension as well. So I don't think I'll wait for Harvard.

L&E, gpquery sent a denial email to me yesterday and told me to grab those scholarships from NYU (half-tuition dean award) and Columbia if I can't get an extension from them. It seems like a denial to me! :) But it's okay. I would love to go to New York anyway!

I hope you all will make a right decision, the best one for you! Good luck everyone.
quote
L&E

hey.. If I indeed am @ CLS... I hope to see you.. Since you have aid from both, I presume you will choose CLS,,,:)

All the best in either case.. and thanks a lot....

hey.. If I indeed am @ CLS... I hope to see you.. Since you have aid from both, I presume you will choose CLS,,,:)

All the best in either case.. and thanks a lot....
quote
Patricia_w

็็Hey L&E! I hope to see you at CLS too but still wish you good luck with HLS. What will you do if Harvard don't give you an answer before Mar 17th?

I believe that there is no harm asking HLS for your current status. I sent them email on Wednesday and they replied to me on Thursday. May be you'll be the lucky one who got an expedite request!! :)

Have a good day!

็็Hey L&E! I hope to see you at CLS too but still wish you good luck with HLS. What will you do if Harvard don't give you an answer before Mar 17th?

I believe that there is no harm asking HLS for your current status. I sent them email on Wednesday and they replied to me on Thursday. May be you'll be the lucky one who got an expedite request!! :)

Have a good day!
quote
nandinik

I asked for an extension from Harvard as well. However, they also asked me to ask Columbia for an extension.

If you guys are not asking for an extension then i dont think i should either. My only question is if we ask for the extension will they get upset and cancel the offer of admission?

I asked for an extension from Harvard as well. However, they also asked me to ask Columbia for an extension.

If you guys are not asking for an extension then i dont think i should either. My only question is if we ask for the extension will they get upset and cancel the offer of admission?
quote
L&E

@ nandinik...

Did HLS say anything about what if you are unable to get the extension...?
Thanks in advance..:)

@ nandinik...

Did HLS say anything about what if you are unable to get the extension...?
Thanks in advance..:)

quote
L&E

To answer your question.. No. they wont cancel your offer. Graduate admission offices include people justv like us.. They understand the anxiety. They also understand the perfectly understandable urge to choose Harvard or Columbia. Faced with the same situation as students, it is reasonable to imagine they acting the same way.

However that being said, CLS' policy is very clear. No deadline extensions. They ask you to join admitted students wait list...

To answer your question.. No. they wont cancel your offer. Graduate admission offices include people justv like us.. They understand the anxiety. They also understand the perfectly understandable urge to choose Harvard or Columbia. Faced with the same situation as students, it is reasonable to imagine they acting the same way.

However that being said, CLS' policy is very clear. No deadline extensions. They ask you to join admitted students wait list...
quote
nandinik

thank you for the clarity.

thank you for the clarity.
quote
L&E

You are welcome. Kindly do let me know if HLS said something in the nature of what if the deadline extension was not given by CLS..

You are welcome. Kindly do let me know if HLS said something in the nature of what if the deadline extension was not given by CLS..
quote
nandinik

they said i should go ahead and take admission if i cannot wait.

they said i should go ahead and take admission if i cannot wait.
quote
Rhino2010

Harvard says: "We would strongly advise you not to give up the offer of admission and the scholarship package offered to you for the possibility of being admitted to Harvard Law School, especially since we will not be able to provide you with our financial aid decisions until early April."
What does this mean? 'strongly' was italicized. Are they giving me a hint that they are going to say no. Am i reading too much into this?

Harvard says: "We would strongly advise you not to give up the offer of admission and the scholarship package offered to you for the possibility of being admitted to Harvard Law School, especially since we will not be able to provide you with our financial aid decisions until early April."
What does this mean? 'strongly' was italicized. Are they giving me a hint that they are going to say no. Am i reading too much into this?
quote
c.ronaldo

nope, i don't think, you are reading too much into this.

nope, i don't think, you are reading too much into this.
quote
nandinik

they wrote the same thing to me. But they havent written the word "strong" and ddint mention abt finance. Maybe because i ddint ask finance in my email.

they wrote the same thing to me. But they havent written the word "strong" and ddint mention abt finance. Maybe because i ddint ask finance in my email.
quote
Rhino2010

Oh no. so "strong" obviously means something! Dammit.
So this means I didn't take their hint? oh no..oh no.

Oh no. so "strong" obviously means something! Dammit.
So this means I didn't take their hint? oh no..oh no.
quote
nandinik

I dont think they would leak hints of any sorts. That would be too unprofessional on their part and the departments wouldnt even allow it.

And ur strong thing might be siad in response to financial implications (if u asked) bec they may not want to be held responsible for the lost oppt.

I dont think they would leak hints of any sorts. That would be too unprofessional on their part and the departments wouldnt even allow it.

And ur strong thing might be siad in response to financial implications (if u asked) bec they may not want to be held responsible for the lost oppt.
quote
nandinik

"If you have scholarship and/or admission deadlines from other schools and cannot get an extension until late March, then we would advise you not to give up the other opportunities youve been offered for the possibility of being admitted to Harvard Law School"

"If you have scholarship and/or admission deadlines from other schools and cannot get an extension until late March, then we would advise you not to give up the other opportunities you’ve been offered for the possibility of being admitted to Harvard Law School"
quote
nandinik

Harvard replied today.
Said no. Columbia it is!!

Harvard replied today.
Said no. Columbia it is!!
quote

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

New York City, New York 1330 Followers 993 Discussions

Other Related Content

LL.M. Application Deadlines for Fall 2020 - US Law Schools

News Aug 26, 2019

Hot Discussions