Harvard or Cambridge or Columbia?

koffie
Hi! I am interested in public international law and am wondering which institution would be the best to pursue my LLM from. Some more context: I am not certain about my career plans in the future but want to live abroad for a while...please let me know your thoughts!!!!!
Hi! I am interested in public international law and am wondering which institution would be the best to pursue my LLM from. Some more context: I am not certain about my career plans in the future but want to live abroad for a while...please let me know your thoughts!!!!!
A$AP Legal
Cannot really tell anything on which school is better for public international law. But my best guess would be that all three do almost equally well.
Regarding your undetermined career plans: As far as I can tell, my impression is that career opportunities are better at HLS and CLS than at Cambridge. My impression is that HLS has the edge over CLS when it comes to a greater variety of career plans whereas CLS may be attracting more law firms. HLS may therefore be the better wildcard for you.
Cannot really tell anything on which school is better for public international law. But my best guess would be that all three do almost equally well.
Regarding your undetermined career plans: As far as I can tell, my impression is that career opportunities are better at HLS and CLS than at Cambridge. My impression is that HLS has the edge over CLS when it comes to a greater variety of career plans whereas CLS may be attracting more law firms. HLS may therefore be the better wildcard for you.
koffie
thanks a lot.. i am also looking into a career in academia
thanks a lot.. i am also looking into a career in academia
MV20178

You got quite a trouble to decide there. All of your options are among the best universities on the planet (With highlights to Cambridge and HLS).
I think that before deciding which uni, you should decide which country do you want the most to reside and where you want to go after the LLM.

If Europe/UK is your biggest desire, i would go straight to Cambridge.
[quote]Hi! I am interested in public international law and am wondering which institution would be the best to pursue my LLM from. Some more context: I am not certain about my career plans in the future but want to live abroad for a while...please let me know your thoughts!!!!![/quote]

You got quite a trouble to decide there. All of your options are among the best universities on the planet (With highlights to Cambridge and HLS).
I think that before deciding which uni, you should decide which country do you want the most to reside and where you want to go after the LLM.

If Europe/UK is your biggest desire, i would go straight to Cambridge.
Considering that living abroad is a consideration, I'll give an endorsement to Cambridge. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in. The people in and around the Uni are witty and pleasant. It's less than an hour from London as well, and I understand that the winters in NY and BOS can be shockingly cold (maybe for me, having been around the equator all my life)
Considering that living abroad is a consideration, I'll give an endorsement to Cambridge. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in. The people in and around the Uni are witty and pleasant. It's less than an hour from London as well, and I understand that the winters in NY and BOS can be shockingly cold (maybe for me, having been around the equator all my life)
MV20178

A LLM in the UK is, overall, including the Pound exchange, relatively cheaper than an US-based one. Cambridge tuition fee foran overseas student is 27720 pounds, roughly 39000 dollars. Consider now that HLS and CLS both charge around 61k in tuition fees only.

This does not take into account any scholarship, of course.

I don't if the same logic is applicable to living cost though.
[quote]Considering that living abroad is a consideration, I'll give an endorsement to Cambridge. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in. The people in and around the Uni are witty and pleasant. It's less than an hour from London as well, and I understand that the winters in NY and BOS can be shockingly cold (maybe for me, having been around the equator all my life)[/quote]

A LLM in the UK is, overall, including the Pound exchange, relatively cheaper than an US-based one. Cambridge tuition fee foran overseas student is 27720 pounds, roughly 39000 dollars. Consider now that HLS and CLS both charge around 61k in tuition fees only.

This does not take into account any scholarship, of course.

I don't if the same logic is applicable to living cost though.
Ribben

IMO Harvard has the edge when it comes to brand recognition and reputation. Cambridge comes in close second place. Columbia isn't really at the level of the other two.
[quote]Hi! I am interested in public international law and am wondering which institution would be the best to pursue my LLM from. Some more context: I am not certain about my career plans in the future but want to live abroad for a while...please let me know your thoughts!!!!![/quote]

IMO Harvard has the edge when it comes to brand recognition and reputation. Cambridge comes in close second place. Columbia isn't really at the level of the other two.
Harvey Spe...
Harvard, I am sure that Louis Litt would also agree!
Cambridge, man. I'm sure that Hersch Lauterpacht would also agree!

[Edited by Professor Vader on Mar 21, 2018]

Cambridge, man. I'm sure that Hersch Lauterpacht would also agree!
koffie
i have heard that cambridge can be a little stifling in only allowing 4 courses, all exam centric. thoughts?
i have heard that cambridge can be a little stifling in only allowing 4 courses, all exam centric. thoughts?
koffie

;) jajaja, i wonder if your view would change if i tell you i do not want to do corporate finance!
[quote]Harvard, I am sure that Louis Litt would also agree![/quote]

;) jajaja, i wonder if your view would change if i tell you i do not want to do corporate finance!
sark

Agreed that in this scenario Columbia isn't an option (I would only start to consider it if you had a full scholarship of some sort there AND you faced trouble to afford the others). There're good reasons to go to either Harvard or Cambridge. Harvard is much more expensive, but you'll get your money worth: you'll have more courses to choose from, you'll have more hours of classes, a lot of people dedicated to trying to help you find a job after you finish the program, lots of conferences with free food, etc. And this year they have an amazing international law faculty, since Philippe Sands, Anne Orford, Michael Waibel, and others are visiting.

On the other hand, Cambridge is traditionally the strongest university in the world to study international law. They also have a world-class faculty, and everyone relevant delivers a lecture at the Lauterpacht at some point.

In any case, congrats. You can't really go wrong (if you dismiss Columbia!).
[quote][quote]Hi! I am interested in public international law and am wondering which institution would be the best to pursue my LLM from. Some more context: I am not certain about my career plans in the future but want to live abroad for a while...please let me know your thoughts!!!!![/quote]

IMO Harvard has the edge when it comes to brand recognition and reputation. Cambridge comes in close second place. Columbia isn't really at the level of the other two. [/quote]

Agreed that in this scenario Columbia isn't an option (I would only start to consider it if you had a full scholarship of some sort there AND you faced trouble to afford the others). There're good reasons to go to either Harvard or Cambridge. Harvard is much more expensive, but you'll get your money worth: you'll have more courses to choose from, you'll have more hours of classes, a lot of people dedicated to trying to help you find a job after you finish the program, lots of conferences with free food, etc. And this year they have an amazing international law faculty, since Philippe Sands, Anne Orford, Michael Waibel, and others are visiting.

On the other hand, Cambridge is traditionally the strongest university in the world to study international law. They also have a world-class faculty, and everyone relevant delivers a lecture at the Lauterpacht at some point.

In any case, congrats. You can't really go wrong (if you dismiss Columbia!).
JJM5
Columbia!
Columbia!

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Cambridge, Massachusetts 941 Followers 841 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 606 Followers 687 Discussions
New York City, New York 1137 Followers 962 Discussions