LLM chances in UK

Hello everyone,

I’m considering doing an LLM in the UK in 2021/2022 (or maybe in the US depending on my chances of getting into a reputable law school).

My background is as follows:

1. Working as a first-year trainee in a local law firm in Hong Kong (focusing on corporate commercial law);

2. Ranked in the top 10 in the postgraduate certificate in laws program (a perquisite to commence a training contract/become a barrister); and

3. Obtained a 2:1 LLB from a Hong Kong law school.

I am motivated to do an LLM program to boost my chances of joining an international law firm after finishing my training contract and to gain some international experience which will be beneficial to my personal and career growth. I prefer doing an LLM focusing on corporate law as that is and will be the focus of my two-year training.

Given my LLB grades, I believe that it is very unlikely that I will be admitted by Oxbridge. Hence, I’m considering the LLM programs offered by other universities with less stringent admission requirements e.g. LSE/UCL (or maybe some T14 law school in the US).

Would anyone be able to advise me on the choices of LLM programs offered in the UK (or the US) and the chances of getting in? What can I do to increase my chances of getting into a reputable LLM program?

Thanks a lot!

[Edited by fortunejolly on Jun 16, 2020]

<p class="MsoNormal">Hello everyone,</p><p class="MsoNormal"><br></p><p class="MsoNormal">I’m considering doing an LLM in the UK in 2021/2022 (or maybe in the US depending on my chances of getting into a reputable law school).</p><p class="MsoNormal"><br></p><p class="MsoNormal">My background is as follows:</p><p class="MsoNormal">1. Working as a first-year trainee in a local law firm in Hong Kong (focusing on corporate commercial law);</p><p class="MsoNormal">2. Ranked in the top 10 in the postgraduate certificate in laws program (a perquisite to commence a training contract/become a barrister); and</p><p class="MsoNormal">3. Obtained a 2:1 LLB from a Hong Kong law school.</p><p class="MsoNormal"><br></p><p class="MsoNormal">I am motivated to do an LLM program to boost my chances of joining an international law firm after finishing my training contract and to gain some international experience which will be beneficial to my personal and career growth. I prefer doing an LLM focusing on corporate law as that is and will be the focus of my two-year training.</p><p class="MsoNormal"><br></p><p class="MsoNormal">Given my LLB grades, I believe that it is very unlikely that I will be admitted by Oxbridge. Hence, I’m considering the LLM programs offered by other universities with less stringent admission requirements e.g. LSE/UCL (or maybe some T14 law school in the US).</p><p class="MsoNormal"><br></p><p class="MsoNormal">Would anyone be able to advise me on the choices of LLM programs offered in the UK (or the US) and the chances of getting in? What can I do to increase my chances of getting into a reputable LLM program?</p><p class="MsoNormal"><br></p><p class="MsoNormal">Thanks a lot!</p>
chicken so...

It seems like you have a good sense of the schools that would be good choices. I would say that currently, due to covid19, many law schools are a bit more open to a wider range of candidates, so applying early, even at schools you might consider to be reaches, would probably be a good idea.

To figure out which schools would be the best options, look at the law firms that you would like to work in, and then see at which schools their associates / etc. studied. This will give you a good sense of each school's relative network. My sense is that in Hong Kong firms, the London schools will probably all have good representation. 

It seems like you have a good sense of the schools that would be good choices. I would say that currently, due to covid19, many law schools are a bit more open to a wider range of candidates, so applying early, even at schools you might consider to be reaches, would probably be a good idea.<br><br>To figure out which schools would be the best options, look at the law firms that you would like to work in, and then see at which schools their associates / etc. studied. This will give you a good sense of each school's relative network. My sense is that in Hong Kong firms, the London schools will probably all have good representation.&nbsp;

It seems like you have a good sense of the schools that would be good choices. I would say that currently, due to covid19, many law schools are a bit more open to a wider range of candidates, so applying early, even at schools you might consider to be reaches, would probably be a good idea.

To figure out which schools would be the best options, look at the law firms that you would like to work in, and then see at which schools their associates / etc. studied. This will give you a good sense of each school's relative network. My sense is that in Hong Kong firms, the London schools will probably all have good representation. 

Thanks for your reply! 

Based on a rather brief search on Google, it seems that those who did LLM and are currently working in ifirms did their LLMs mostly in Oxbridge, LSE or UCL, or some top-notch US universities such as Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Georgetown. Do you think I stand a chance at LSE/UCL or some other universities that you could think of? 

As a side note, I’m also wondering if: 
1. it’s better to study in UK/US given my background and motivation; and 
2. an LLM or a year of post-qualification experience would be more valuable career-wise.

Thanks again!

[Edited by fortunejolly on Jun 18, 2020]

[quote]It seems like you have a good sense of the schools that would be good choices. I would say that currently, due to covid19, many law schools are a bit more open to a wider range of candidates, so applying early, even at schools you might consider to be reaches, would probably be a good idea.<br><br>To figure out which schools would be the best options, look at the law firms that you would like to work in, and then see at which schools their associates / etc. studied. This will give you a good sense of each school's relative network. My sense is that in Hong Kong firms, the London schools will probably all have good representation.&nbsp; [/quote]<br><br>Thanks for your reply!&nbsp;<br><br>Based on a rather brief search on Google, it seems that those who did LLM and are currently working in ifirms did their LLMs mostly in Oxbridge, LSE or UCL, or some top-notch US universities such as Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Georgetown. Do you think I stand a chance at LSE/UCL or some other universities that you could think of?&nbsp;<br><br>As a side note, I’m also wondering if:&nbsp;<br>1. it’s better to study in UK/US given my background and motivation; and&nbsp;<br>2. an LLM or a year of post-qualification experience would be more valuable career-wise.<br><br>Thanks again!

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Oxford, United Kingdom 774 Followers 802 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 731 Followers 721 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 700 Followers 889 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 535 Followers 878 Discussions

Other Related Content

LL.M. Application Deadlines for Fall 2020 - Law Schools in the UK & Ireland

News Sep 30, 2019

5 Questions for an LL.M. Student – David Lewis Rukiri

Article Mar 26, 2015

Harvard Law School, LL.M., 2014-2015