I'm a Portuguese citizen. I'm finishing my law undergraduate course in England and I want to move to Luxembourg and be a lawyer there. What are the requirements I have to follow? Do I have to do the Masters and what after? If someone can help me please.
Becoming a Lawyer in Luxembourg
Option 1: Whether you are already a lawyer from an EU member state, you can directly apply to be admitted to the Luxembourg bar under "List IV". (But this does not seem to be your case)
Option 2: Otherwise, you will have to do (i) the cours complémentaire en droit luxembourgeois ("CCDL") and (ii) a two-year traineeship (stage judiciaire).
For the CCDL:
- The registration deadline is on September;
- Classes are usually planned from Sep./Oct. to Feb.;
- The exam is usually scheduled on Feb./Mar. and it seems that the passing rate is pretty good;
- The classes and the exam are in French;
- While there is not anymore the language tests, you will have to prove your language skills in French, German and Luxembourgish. An alternative is to attend some language classes by your own and get a certificate testifying that your language skills is above the requirements.
- For the requirement to register to the CCDL, you will have to prove 4 years of legal studies and get an homologation of your diplomas by the Luxembourg government. You should check that details. Whether you miss some years/credits, you might be able to cure that with a master of law in Luxembourg or elsewhere.
For the 2y Traineeship:
- Once you passed the CCDL you can start your 2 year traineeship as a lawyer registered to the Lux bar under "List II";
- You will have to attend few classes and exams during these 2 years;
- A the end of these 2 years, you will have a final exam and the passing rate is pretty bad;
- Once you succeed to this final exam, you can move your registration under "List I" and become a fully admitted Luxembourg lawyer.
[Edited by # on Oct 08, 2020]
NYU LL.M. Applicants 2022-2023
Jun 28, 2022 146,727 520
Stanford LL.M. 2022-2023
Jun 23, 2022 83,362 284
Berkeley Traditional Track 2022/2023
Jun 21, 2022 40,033 200
KCL LLM applicants 2022/23
Jun 28, 2022 27,960 177
NUS LLM (2022-23)
Jun 27, 2022 7,318 54
Edinburgh LLM Applicants 2022-23
Jun 29, 2022 5,005 37
KU Leuven or ULB (LLM in International Business Law)
Jun 09, 2022 1,363 11
Tilburg LLM September 2022 intake
Jun 23, 2022 454 9