I'm a Portuguese citizen. I'm finishing my law undergraduate course in England and I want to move to Luxembourg and be a lawyer there. What are the requirements I have to follow? Do I have to do the Masters and what after? If someone can help me please.
Becoming a Lawyer in Luxembourg
Option 1: Whether you are already a lawyer from an EU member state, you can directly apply to be admitted to the Luxembourg bar under "List IV". (But this does not seem to be your case)
Option 2: Otherwise, you will have to do (i) the cours complémentaire en droit luxembourgeois ("CCDL") and (ii) a two-year traineeship (stage judiciaire).
For the CCDL:
- The registration deadline is on September;
- Classes are usually planned from Sep./Oct. to Feb.;
- The exam is usually scheduled on Feb./Mar. and it seems that the passing rate is pretty good;
- The classes and the exam are in French;
- While there is not anymore the language tests, you will have to prove your language skills in French, German and Luxembourgish. An alternative is to attend some language classes by your own and get a certificate testifying that your language skills is above the requirements.
- For the requirement to register to the CCDL, you will have to prove 4 years of legal studies and get an homologation of your diplomas by the Luxembourg government. You should check that details. Whether you miss some years/credits, you might be able to cure that with a master of law in Luxembourg or elsewhere.
For the 2y Traineeship:
- Once you passed the CCDL you can start your 2 year traineeship as a lawyer registered to the Lux bar under "List II";
- You will have to attend few classes and exams during these 2 years;
- A the end of these 2 years, you will have a final exam and the passing rate is pretty bad;
- Once you succeed to this final exam, you can move your registration under "List I" and become a fully admitted Luxembourg lawyer.
[Edited by # on Oct 08, 2020]
LSE Applications 2021-2022
Jul 13, 2021 60,858 287
LSE Ph.D. 2021- applicants
Jun 30, 2021 9,266 138
USC LLM Fall - 2021
Jul 08, 2021 5,955 62
UCL / KINGS - how strict are they with the language requirement ?
Jul 12, 2021 12,384 42
Erasumus Mundus ILGSPD Glasgow 2021
Jul 06, 2021 1,449 25
OSGOODE LLM CANADIAN COMMON LAW WINTER 2021
Jul 21, 2021 2,563 24
LLM Fordham - Fall 2021
Jul 23 11:04 PM 1,188 14
Boston University LL.M. 2021-22 Applicants
Jul 23 10:49 PM 1,675 8