Any confused with the name of the new LLM program at Paris 1 ?

Tylor989
All,

I'm planing to pursue my LLM degree in 2020 with the support of a law firm.
The name of the degree is crucial part to be recognised and accredited to practice law in my country. Therefore, I have some curiosity on the new course offered by Paris 1, namely 'Sorbonne LL.M. Business Law Certificate'. (The like to program's webpage can find below)
It sounds nice and elegant but ... What degree it actually is ?
An LLM ? Or Business law certificate?

Sometimes it also referred as 'Sorbonne Business Law Certificate for Foreign Lawyers LL.M'
Which is make it more like a 'training certificate' than an LLM degree.

(In my country, certificate of practice, training, or just certificate, even from top prominent law school cannot use as credential to practice law. So no difference than just an LLB holder)

The other LLM programs, offered by Paris 1, have the name that common and easily to recognise as LLM degrees.
(-LL.M of French Law and European Law / LL.M of French Law, European Law and International Business Law
-LL.M Business Law, Arab World and Near East)
With the clear amd no misleading degree names, it should benefit the international student to use the degree for the future career.

Anyone have the same curiosity as mind ? Or it's just the way they named there program?

Thank you

[Edited by Tylor989 on Jul 03, 2018]

All,

I'm planing to pursue my LLM degree in 2020 with the support of a law firm.
The name of the degree is crucial part to be recognised and accredited to practice law in my country. Therefore, I have some curiosity on the new course offered by Paris 1, namely 'Sorbonne LL.M. Business Law Certificate'. (The like to program's webpage can find below)
It sounds nice and elegant but ... What degree it actually is ?
An LLM ? Or Business law certificate?

Sometimes it also referred as 'Sorbonne Business Law Certificate for Foreign Lawyers LL.M'
Which is make it more like a 'training certificate' than an LLM degree.

(In my country, certificate of practice, training, or just certificate, even from top prominent law school cannot use as credential to practice law. So no difference than just an LLB holder)

The other LLM programs, offered by Paris 1, have the name that common and easily to recognise as LLM degrees.
(-LL.M of French Law and European Law / LL.M of French Law, European Law and International Business Law
-LL.M Business Law, Arab World and Near East)
With the clear amd no misleading degree names, it should benefit the international student to use the degree for the future career.

Anyone have the same curiosity as mind ? Or it's just the way they named there program?

Thank you
msads1991
I don't know anything myself, but I believe there has been some discussion in a past thread. Hopefully it is helpful to your case. :)

https://llm-guide.com/board/europe/beware-of-french-llm-program-they-are-not-real-master-degree-program-195724
I don't know anything myself, but I believe there has been some discussion in a past thread. Hopefully it is helpful to your case. :)

https://llm-guide.com/board/europe/beware-of-french-llm-program-they-are-not-real-master-degree-program-195724
Tylor989

https://llm-guide.com/board/europe/beware-of-french-llm-program-they-are-not-real-master-degree-program-195724[/quote]

Thank you :)
[quote]I don't know anything myself, but I believe there has been some discussion in a past thread. Hopefully it is helpful to your case. :)

https://llm-guide.com/board/europe/beware-of-french-llm-program-they-are-not-real-master-degree-program-195724[/quote]

Thank you :)
Tylor989

Just reviewed the post ! Thank you again :)

I understand that LLM offered by French university is not considered as a Master in French legal system. However, the French University Diploma (DU) namely "LLM" still recognized in my country as advance legal education.

So in my case, Im confuse by the name 'Sorbonne LL.M. Business Law Certificate' whether it's a real LLM degree (DU equivalent) or just a 'certificate' as its name also mentioned.

Hope someone could help me clarify this point :)
Thank you
[quote]I don't know anything myself, but I believe there has been some discussion in a past thread. Hopefully it is helpful to your case. :)

Just reviewed the post ! Thank you again :)

I understand that LLM offered by French university is not considered as a Master in French legal system. However, the French University Diploma (DU) namely "LLM" still recognized in my country as advance legal education.

So in my case, Im confuse by the name 'Sorbonne LL.M. Business Law Certificate' whether it's a real LLM degree (DU equivalent) or just a 'certificate' as its name also mentioned.

Hope someone could help me clarify this point :)
Thank you
What's your country ?
In some country you can enter directly in the bar school with an LLM.
In some other you need to do a Phd after your LLM for enter in the bar school.
After an LLM you can work directly like international lawyer.
What's your futur work or study project ?
What's your country ?
Tylor989
What's your country ?

Thailand, So in my jurisdiction, advance degrees e.g. LLM, M2 in the French system, J.D, and Ph.D in law are considered as advanced education which enables as to the market.
An LLB holder also can practice law but with 'recognized' LLB or other types of advanced education, the market value of that particular lawyer is dramatically increased.

So my point is I'm not sure if "Sorbonne LL.M. Business Law Certificate" is an LLM degree? Or Business law training certificate?
[quote]What's your country ?
What's your futur work or study project ? [/quote]

Thailand, So in my jurisdiction, advance degrees e.g. LLM, M2 in the French system, J.D, and Ph.D in law are considered as advanced education which enables as to the market.
An LLB holder also can practice law but with 'recognized' LLB or other types of advanced education, the market value of that particular lawyer is dramatically increased.

So my point is I'm not sure if "Sorbonne LL.M. Business Law Certificate" is an LLM degree? Or Business law training certificate?

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Paris, France 48 Followers 74 Discussions