New curriculum sets new conditions for LL.M. programs that make lawyers eligible
The changes are focused on the required curriculum of LL.M. programs that make many foreign lawyers eligible to sit the bar.
For example, to be eligible, lawyers will have to have completed LL.M. programs that meet the following criteria:
- require at least 24 credit hours of coursework (up from 20 credit hours);
- take no longer than two years to complete;
- be "completed at the campus of an approved law school in the United States, except as otherwise expressly permitted by subdivision";
- not be completed exclusively during summer semesters;
- offer minimum credit hours focusing in specific subjects, such as legal research and writing and the "history, goals, instruction, value, rules and responsibilities" of the US legal profession.
The changes also stipulate that "no credit shall be allowed for correspondence courses, on-line courses, courses offered on DVD or other media, or other distance learning course."
The New York bar exam is by far the most popular US bar exam for foreign-trained LL.M. grads.
Meanwhile, according to an article this week in The National Law Journal, the American Bar Association (ABA) is considering imposing general curriculum requirements on US LL.M. programs designed specifically for foreign-trained attorneys. These standards could ultimately result in the number of states that allow foreign lawyers to sit the bar exam.
For more information, please visit the State of New York Court of Appeals website, or read Karen Sloan's recent coverage in The National Law Journal.
More LLM News
An LL.M. in New York City: Why the Big Apple is a Great Place to Study Law
Oct 11, 2019
From the myriad top law schools to the ability to mingle with some of the countries’ most influential lawyers, New York offers it all
LL.M. Applications: What to do When You’ve Been Waitlisted
Sep 09, 2019
“Waitlisting” candidates is a growing trend, but there are many concrete steps that an applicant can take to improve their chances of admission to a top LL.M. course
LL.M. Programs in California: From Hollywood to the Redwoods
Aug 15, 2019
With beautiful deserts in the south and towering forests in the north, it’s no surprise that the diverse state of California is the number one in America for international students.