Harvard 2020-2021

Greentrea

Please send me the link to the WhatsApp group too :)

Please send me the link to the WhatsApp group too :)
Ipek

please send me the link too

please send me the link too
carlospg94

Maybe there aren't many waitlisted candidates after all! This situation is completely unusual and I'm sure they don't waitlist applicants in the same proportion like the admitted ones.

Hey guys,

FYI, HLS officially announced yesterday

that the upcoming fall semester would be online and it would offer an

additional deferral option to the current admitted students (June 15 through

19).

https://today.law.harvard.edu/harvard-law-school-expects-robust-high-quality-online-program-for-the-fall-2020/

In fact, more than a half of the current

admitted students have already decided to defer their enrollment as of the end

of May, which was even before that official announcement. Obviously, a

substantial amount of the current admitted students who had not exercised their

deferral rights upon the initial period are likely to exercise their rights

this time.

I have absolutely no idea as to how many

people are waitlisted for 2020-2021. However, it would be a reasonable guess

that the number should be smaller than a half of the current admitted students,

in light of the fact that HLS has never made any waitlist offers in recent

years and that HLS did not precisely foresee the devastating impact of the

coronavirus outbreak in the US when it determined the size of waitlist pool in

early March (because of this, HBS, another most popular grad school was failed

to maintain its original enrollment plan and suffer from more than 200 students

short).

https://poetsandquants.com/2020/06/02/harvard-business-schools-next-mba-class-will-be-more-than-200-students-short/

Based on the foregoing, I personally expect

that HLS will make waitlist offers to all of the waitlist nominees (or at least

"almost all", in light of the appropriate balance of the ethnic and background

diversity) maybe sometime after June 19, the deadline for the additional deferral

request (this timing would be stressful but let's hang on there). This expectation might be too optimistic, but I believe that the issue we have to

discuss here may be whether we should accept the non-deferrable offer, pay $65,000

tuition and take online courses with distant classmates (and possibly, in the absence

of any in-person social events held by the school during the entire semester...).

Although I am inclined to accept the offer for some reason, but it would be far

from the full-on HLS experience that we originally expected and dreamed. Anyway, let's wait and see until the deadline.

I really hope you're right, but part of that HBS article makes me less optimistic.  As someone noted on the GMAT club forum:

"Bad news, looks like Harvard is not going to pull many people off their waitlist. Over 200 students deferred but instead of pulling many off their waitlist they are going with a smaller class. They estimate only pulling 20 ppl. So I don’t think there is going to be as big of a ripple on waitlist as originally expected. "

I would have thought they would fill as many seats as possible from wait-listed candidates, but I guess that's why I'm not an admissions officer.

By the way, could I get a link to the WhatsApp group as well?

[Edited by carlospg94 on Jun 12, 2020]

Maybe there aren't many waitlisted candidates after all! This situation is completely unusual and I'm sure they don't waitlist applicants in the same proportion like the admitted ones.<br><br>[quote][quote]<p class="MsoPlainText"><span lang="EN-US">Hey guys,</span></p><br><br><br>
<br><br><br>
<p class="MsoPlainText"><span lang="EN-US">FYI, HLS officially announced yesterday<br><br><br>
that the upcoming fall semester would be online and it would offer an<br><br><br>
additional deferral option to the current admitted students (June 15 through<br><br><br>
19). <o:p></o:p></span></p><br><br><br>
<br><br><br>
<p class="MsoPlainText"><span lang="EN-US"><a href="https://today.law.harvard.edu/harvard-law-school-expects-robust-high-quality-online-program-for-the-fall-2020/">https://today.law.harvard.edu/harvard-law-school-expects-robust-high-quality-online-program-for-the-fall-2020/</a></span></p><p class="MsoPlainText">In fact, more than a half of the current<br><br><br>
admitted students have already decided to defer their enrollment as of the end<br><br><br>
of May, which was even before that official announcement. Obviously, a<br><br><br>
substantial amount of the current admitted students who had not exercised their<br><br><br>
deferral rights upon the initial period are likely to exercise their rights<br><br><br>
this time.</p><br><br><br>
<br><br><br>
<p class="MsoPlainText"><span lang="EN-US">I have absolutely no idea as to how many<br><br><br>
people are waitlisted for 2020-2021. However, it would be a reasonable guess<br><br><br>
that the number should be smaller than a half of the current admitted students,<br><br><br>
in light of the fact that HLS has never made any waitlist offers in recent<br><br><br>
years and that HLS did not precisely foresee the devastating impact of the<br><br><br>
coronavirus outbreak in the US when it determined the size of waitlist pool in<br><br><br>
early March (because of this, HBS, another most popular grad school was failed<br><br><br>
to maintain its original enrollment plan and suffer from more than 200 students<br><br><br>
short).<o:p></o:p></span></p><br><br><br>
<br><br><br>
<p class="MsoPlainText"><span lang="EN-US"><a href="https://poetsandquants.com/2020/06/02/harvard-business-schools-next-mba-class-will-be-more-than-200-students-short/">https://poetsandquants.com/2020/06/02/harvard-business-schools-next-mba-class-will-be-more-than-200-students-short/</a></span></p><p class="MsoPlainText">Based on the foregoing, I personally expect<br><br><br>
that HLS will make waitlist offers to all of the waitlist nominees (or at least<br><br><br>
"almost all", in light of the appropriate balance of the ethnic and background<br><br><br>
diversity) maybe sometime after June 19, the deadline for the additional deferral<br><br><br>
request (this timing would be stressful but let's hang on there). This expectation might be too optimistic, but I believe that the issue we have to<br><br><br>
discuss here may be whether we should accept the non-deferrable offer, pay $65,000<br><br><br>
tuition and take online courses with distant classmates (and possibly, in the absence<br><br><br>
of any in-person social events held by the school during the entire semester...).<br><br><br>
Although I am inclined to accept the offer for some reason, but it would be far<br><br><br>
from the full-on HLS experience that we originally expected and dreamed. Anyway, let's wait and see until the deadline.</p> [/quote]<br><br>I really hope you're right, but part of that HBS article makes me less optimistic.&nbsp; As someone noted on the GMAT club forum:<br><br><span style="color: rgb(42, 42, 42); font-family: Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 235);">"Bad news, looks like Harvard is not going to pull many people off their waitlist. Over 200 students deferred but instead of pulling many off their waitlist they are going with a smaller class. They estimate only pulling 20 ppl. So I don’t think there is going to be as big of a ripple on waitlist as originally expected. "</span><br><br>I would have thought they would fill as many seats as possible from wait-listed candidates, but I guess that's why I'm not an admissions officer.<br><br>By the way, could I get a link to the WhatsApp group as well? [/quote]

On the other hand, since the MBA program is 2 years, taking in a full-size class would put more strain on them to avoid overcrowding in the following year when deferred applicants begin and students taking a gap-year return.  

Fortunately, this isn't really the case for the LLM program.  They will need to deal with the overcrowding issue as well, but limiting this year's class won't do anything to fix that.  I'm reluctant to get my hopes up, but I can't really think of a good reason why they would choose to leave spots empty.  

On the other hand, since the MBA program is 2 years, taking in a full-size class would put more strain on them to avoid overcrowding in the following year when deferred applicants begin and students taking a gap-year return.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Fortunately, this isn't really the case for the LLM program.&nbsp; They will need to deal with the overcrowding issue as well, but limiting this year's class won't do anything to fix that.&nbsp; I'm reluctant to get my hopes up, but I can't really think of a good reason why they would choose to leave spots empty.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Can anyone send me the link of the WhatsApp group for waitlist students? Thanks! 1f642

Can anyone send me the link of the WhatsApp group for waitlist students? Thanks!&nbsp;:slightly-smiling-face:
abcd_97

Can anyone send me the link of the WhatsApp group for waitlist students? Thanks! 1f642

i think that group has ended since waitlist decisions have been released 

[quote]Can anyone send me the link of the WhatsApp group for waitlist students? Thanks!&nbsp;:slightly-smiling-face: [/quote]<br><br><br>i think that group has ended since waitlist decisions have been released&nbsp;

Has any waitlist student received the admission decision? 

Has any waitlist student received the admission decision?&nbsp;

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Cambridge, Massachusetts 1109 Followers 867 Discussions

Other Related Content

LL.M. Application Deadlines for Fall 2020 - US Law Schools

News Aug 26, 2019