Chances - Australian applying for US T-14

Syd2030
Hi all,

I'm an Australian planning on applying for the 2020-2021 LLM year.

I am interested in applying for the general LLM program at the following law schools:
Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Berkeley, Northwestern, Berkeley, UCLA.
Possibly considering Georgetown and UPenn applications.

I'm particularly interested in public law (constitutional law and administrative law), statutory interpretation, law reform and social justice (particularly in the refugee rights space).

I'd love any feedback you can give me on the schools I am considering and the likelihood of me being accepted, based on my credentials:

- Graduated from one of the top law schools in Australia 2 years ago (BA/LLB) in the top 20% of my class, but with a handful of academic prizes and scholarships (and scholarships relating to leadership and social justice). Top grades in my BA degree.
- No honours.
- Several years of experience in BigLaw/top tier firms as a paralegal, and now as a first year associate
- One year working for a judge (judicial clerkship equivalent) in my state's Supreme Court
- 2 years working as a casual academic in constitutional law (as an examiner at my old university)
- Various volunteer internships and research assistant roles in law reform/policy, criminal justice, constitutional law, immigration/refugee law
- One published article
- Several years volunteering with refugees
- Have judged mooting competitions, but never mooted/participated in other law school competitions

I will have references from the Professor who I report to in my casual academic role (I studied in two of his classes) and the judge I worked for... and possibly one from a partner at my firm now.

Your thoughts on the following would be much appreciated:
1. Do you think I'll have a shot without graduating with honours and only in the top 20% of my class? Be brutally honest, please!
2. Would have a chance of obtaining scholarships at any of those schools?
3. I'd love to hear any other thoughts you have on which schools might align with my interests.

Thanks for your time :)
Hi all,

I'm an Australian planning on applying for the 2020-2021 LLM year.

I am interested in applying for the general LLM program at the following law schools:
Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Berkeley, Northwestern, Berkeley, UCLA.
Possibly considering Georgetown and UPenn applications.

I'm particularly interested in public law (constitutional law and administrative law), statutory interpretation, law reform and social justice (particularly in the refugee rights space).

I'd love any feedback you can give me on the schools I am considering and the likelihood of me being accepted, based on my credentials:

- Graduated from one of the top law schools in Australia 2 years ago (BA/LLB) in the top 20% of my class, but with a handful of academic prizes and scholarships (and scholarships relating to leadership and social justice). Top grades in my BA degree.
- No honours.
- Several years of experience in BigLaw/top tier firms as a paralegal, and now as a first year associate
- One year working for a judge (judicial clerkship equivalent) in my state's Supreme Court
- 2 years working as a casual academic in constitutional law (as an examiner at my old university)
- Various volunteer internships and research assistant roles in law reform/policy, criminal justice, constitutional law, immigration/refugee law
- One published article
- Several years volunteering with refugees
- Have judged mooting competitions, but never mooted/participated in other law school competitions

I will have references from the Professor who I report to in my casual academic role (I studied in two of his classes) and the judge I worked for... and possibly one from a partner at my firm now.

Your thoughts on the following would be much appreciated:
1. Do you think I'll have a shot without graduating with honours and only in the top 20% of my class? Be brutally honest, please!
2. Would have a chance of obtaining scholarships at any of those schools?
3. I'd love to hear any other thoughts you have on which schools might align with my interests.

Thanks for your time :)
chicken so...
Your work experience should help. Your class rank might be borderline at some of these schools.

There are always a lot of variables, but you might want to go through these old application trackers and match up class ranks with admissions / ejections:

https://llm-guide.com/schools/usa/new-york/columbia-law-school-cls/application-tracker

(for example)

I don't know how much bearing that would have on future intakes but it would probably be good to know.
Your work experience should help. Your class rank might be borderline at some of these schools.

There are always a lot of variables, but you might want to go through these old application trackers and match up class ranks with admissions / ejections:

https://llm-guide.com/schools/usa/new-york/columbia-law-school-cls/application-tracker

(for example)

I don't know how much bearing that would have on future intakes but it would probably be good to know.
Syd2030
That's very helpful, thanks chicken soup! I was not aware of the trackers
That's very helpful, thanks chicken soup! I was not aware of the trackers
Syd2030
Any other perspectives on this would be great!
Any other perspectives on this would be great!

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

New York City, New York 1231 Followers 975 Discussions
New York City, New York 1841 Followers 1526 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 1010 Followers 852 Discussions
Berkeley, California 1086 Followers 547 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 614 Followers 322 Discussions
Washington, District of Columbia 942 Followers 899 Discussions
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 743 Followers 464 Discussions