LSE/UCL/King's/Edinburgh LLM

Hello all,

I am currently pondering whether I should try to apply for a LLM at LSE/UCL/King's/Edinburgh.

I am Canadian.

My academic profile is as follows:

-International Baccalaureate: 38

-B.A.: 3.69/4 GPA (graduated with Distinction)

-LLB: 3.38/4.3 GPA

I did my Bar internship at a top tier Canadian law firm (with an established reputation among lawyers to be one of the toughest firm on its interns), was hired and left a few months after for another top tier pan-Canadian law firm where I currently work as a commercial litigation lawyer.

I was received to the Quebec Bar in 2017.

I am insecure about my law grades. I had very good results for the first three semesters and the last (3.71/4.3), but due to ill health, I stumbled very badly in the fourth and the fifth (you can see on the transcript the sudden plunge between the 3rd and 4th, and also sudden uptick between the 5th and 6th).

I would have no trouble securing a good letter of recommandation from a reputable partner at my firm and am confident I could obtain one from a former law teacher with international credentials.

Are my law grades such an obstacle?

Thanks for your input!

Cheers.

[Edited by canadianlawyer1 on Aug 04, 2020]

Hello all, <br>
<br>
I am currently pondering whether I should try to apply for a LLM at LSE/UCL/King's/Edinburgh. <br>
<br>
I am Canadian.<br>
<br>
My academic profile is as follows: <br>
-International Baccalaureate: 38<br>
-B.A.: 3.69/4 GPA (graduated with Distinction)<br>
-LLB: 3.38/4.3 GPA<br>
<br>
I did my Bar internship at a top tier Canadian law firm (with an established reputation among lawyers to be one of the toughest firm on its interns), was hired and left a few months after for another top tier pan-Canadian law firm where I currently work as a commercial litigation lawyer. <br>
<br>
I was received to the Quebec Bar in 2017. <br>
<br>
I am insecure about my law grades. I had very good results for the first three semesters and the last (3.71/4.3), but due to ill health, I stumbled very badly in the fourth and the fifth (you can see on the transcript the sudden plunge between the 3rd and 4th, and also sudden uptick between the 5th and 6th). <br>
<br>
I would have no trouble securing a good letter of recommandation from a reputable partner at my firm and am confident I could obtain one from a former law teacher with international credentials. <br>
<br>
Are my law grades such an obstacle?<br>
<br>
Thanks for your input!<br>
Cheers.
chicken so...

I don't think you have *that* much to worry about. Good references plus any professional experience at all will go a long way. Check with the schools and see if there are any minimum GPA issues you will need to deal with. 

I don't think you have *that* much to worry about. Good references plus any professional experience at all will go a long way. Check with the schools and see if there are any minimum GPA issues you will need to deal with.&nbsp;

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

London, United Kingdom 719 Followers 896 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 724 Followers 899 Discussions
Edinburgh, United Kingdom 396 Followers 476 Discussions

Other Related Content

LL.M. Application Deadlines for Fall 2020 - Law Schools in the UK & Ireland

News Sep 30, 2019

Prologue: My LLM Year at King's College London - The Pandemic Edition

Blog In KCL LL.M. 2020-2021 on Sep 01, 2020