Cambridge Admission Chances - Narrow First Class Miss

Purplish

Hello everyone :)

I know this topic has been somewhat over-flogged. However, I feel inclined to provide more context about my situation in order to get well rounded advice from individuals who have current information about the process.

In 2015, I graduated from the law faculty of a reputable university in Nigeria with a very high 2:1 - CGPA is 4.4/5.0 (about 88%) narrowly missing a first with 0.1 point but as 2nd best in a class of 340 students. In my penultimate and final years, my GPAs were really high firsts. I have also been called to bar in Nigeria since last year with a 2:1 in my bar exams. I am interested in pursuing the International Law LLM concentration at Cambridge, due to my focus on civil liberties and human rights. I have sufficient experience in grassroots and high level advocacy (at the UN and with other reputable international NGOs) as I have managed a human rights NGO in Nigeria for the past 3 years.

I would appreciate your opinion on my chances of getting in, as I know that academic excellence is the most critical consideration at Cambridge. Should I bother at all?

[Edited by Purplish on Jul 28, 2017]

I know this topic has been somewhat over-flogged. However, I feel inclined to provide more context about my situation in order to get well rounded advice from individuals who have current information about the process.

In 2015, I graduated from the law faculty of a reputable university in Nigeria with a very high 2:1 - CGPA is 4.4/5.0 (about 88%) narrowly missing a first with 0.1 point but as 2nd best in a class of 340 students. In my penultimate and final years, my GPAs were really high firsts. I have also been called to bar in Nigeria since last year with a 2:1 in my bar exams. I am interested in pursuing the International Law LLM concentration at Cambridge, due to my focus on civil liberties and human rights. I have sufficient experience in grassroots and high level advocacy (at the UN and with other reputable international NGOs) as I have managed a human rights NGO in Nigeria for the past 3 years.

I would appreciate your opinion on my chances of getting in, as I know that academic excellence is the most critical consideration at Cambridge. Should I bother at all?
Pjoedi

Hi!

I will start the Cambridge LLM this year, so although I have no inside information, I have some experience with the process. I had no real working experience, so I reckon I got in completely based on my academic achievements. However, I think your profile sounds impressive and I would always give it a try! I've heard of other people getting in with high 2:1s. I also never thought I would get in, but I tried, and now I'm going to Cambridge! Worst thing that can happen is that you lose the application fee. I know applying is a bit daunting, but it's worth it! :)

Hi!

I will start the Cambridge LLM this year, so although I have no inside information, I have some experience with the process. I had no real working experience, so I reckon I got in completely based on my academic achievements. However, I think your profile sounds impressive and I would always give it a try! I've heard of other people getting in with high 2:1s. I also never thought I would get in, but I tried, and now I'm going to Cambridge! Worst thing that can happen is that you lose the application fee. I know applying is a bit daunting, but it's worth it! :)
LegalLife

I would be surprised if Cambridge did not admit you honestly. And I speak as a former Cambridge student.

Nevertheless, you need to remember that you also need good references and personal statements and a well written CV. These matter as much as your grades.

[quote]Hello everyone :)

I would appreciate your opinion on my chances of getting in, as I know that academic excellence is the most critical consideration at Cambridge. Should I bother at all?[/quote]

I would be surprised if Cambridge did not admit you honestly. And I speak as a former Cambridge student.

Nevertheless, you need to remember that you also need good references and personal statements and a well written CV. These matter as much as your grades.
UllyJack

Hi!

Hi Pjoedi!

Thank you for sharing! Can I check whether you got admitted as a High 2:1? Thank you!

[quote]Hi!

I will start the Cambridge LLM this year, so although I have no inside information, I have some experience with the process. I had no real working experience, so I reckon I got in completely based on my academic achievements. However, I think your profile sounds impressive and I would always give it a try! I've heard of other people getting in with high 2:1s. I also never thought I would get in, but I tried, and now I'm going to Cambridge! Worst thing that can happen is that you lose the application fee. I know applying is a bit daunting, but it's worth it! :)[/quote]

Hi Pjoedi!

Thank you for sharing! Can I check whether you got admitted as a High 2:1? Thank you!
Pjoedi

Hi!

Hi Pjoedi!

Hi! No, I personally got the equivalent of a first! But again, I've heard of people with high 2.1s getting in (I think I've read it a couple of times on this forum)!

[quote][quote]Hi!

I will start the Cambridge LLM this year, so although I have no inside information, I have some experience with the process. I had no real working experience, so I reckon I got in completely based on my academic achievements. However, I think your profile sounds impressive and I would always give it a try! I've heard of other people getting in with high 2:1s. I also never thought I would get in, but I tried, and now I'm going to Cambridge! Worst thing that can happen is that you lose the application fee. I know applying is a bit daunting, but it's worth it! :)[/quote]

Hi Pjoedi!

Thank you for sharing! Can I check whether you got admitted as a High 2:1? Thank you![/quote]

Hi! No, I personally got the equivalent of a first! But again, I've heard of people with high 2.1s getting in (I think I've read it a couple of times on this forum)!
Eppendorf

Hello puplish, here's the situation: Cambridge requires a first class degree in your undergrad. A 2:1 will usually not be enough to get you admitted to the LLM program.

[quote]Hello everyone :)

I would appreciate your opinion on my chances of getting in, as I know that academic excellence is the most critical consideration at Cambridge. Should I bother at all?[/quote]

Hello puplish, here's the situation: Cambridge requires a first class degree in your undergrad. A 2:1 will usually not be enough to get you admitted to the LLM program.
username_i...

Ignore eppendorf. He's just a lowly troll.

[quote][quote]Hello everyone :)

Hello puplish, here's the situation: Cambridge requires a first class degree in your undergrad. A 2:1 will usually not be enough to get you admitted to the LLM program.[/quote]

Ignore eppendorf. He's just a lowly troll.
robot6

For non-UK applicants, I think Cambridge considers your class ranking more than simply your grades. If you are in the top 5%, that should be good enough; maybe even top 10%. I got my law degree from a school where nobody has ever graduated with an equivalent of a first (or rather where the faculty does not allow any student to graduate with such high honors), but I was able to receive an offer from Cambridge.

For non-UK applicants, I think Cambridge considers your class ranking more than simply your grades. If you are in the top 5%, that should be good enough; maybe even top 10%. I got my law degree from a school where nobody has ever graduated with an equivalent of a first (or rather where the faculty does not allow any student to graduate with such high honors), but I was able to receive an offer from Cambridge.

Reply to Post

Related Law Schools

Cambridge, United Kingdom 750 Followers 729 Discussions

Other Related Content

LL.M. Application Deadlines for Fall 2021 - Law Schools in the UK & Ireland

News Nov 23, 2020